Concrete Slab Foundation/Some Dampness/Need Flooring Advice

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ incognito... Will look into this product but am extremely strapped, financially and don't want to be putting Rolls Royce parts on a '63 Dodge Dart so to speak. Also, I'm getting about 4 responses to every 1 response to my particular predicament saying that I can forget about any type of after-the-fact sealer staying put. The video about application strikes me as somewhat of an upper scale product but I will check it out further and thanks very much for taking the time to post this.

OK, I'll go with your analogy. The Koester isn't a Dart or a Rolls because it's not really a car. It's more of a work truck and it's German engineering so maybe you might think Mercedes or Volkswagon.

WAY,WAY,WAY,WAY more than 4 to one "after-the-fact sealer" systems are virtual garbage--------for your extreme case. They may be helpful in some specific applications but are just as often misused, meaning used for inappropriate conditions, and also applied incorrectly as there's always some fairly obscure set of surface abrasion, mixing, timing, applying, drying and other steps that are a challenge to adjust for porosity, humidity, temperature and so on. We're not a trade dominated by graduates from Cal Tech.

You need to focus your attention on finding a COMPATIBLE floor within your budget if correcting the moisture and structural issues preclude your 1rst, 2nd and 3rd choices of flooring based on factors like decor, usage and personal taste.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I like the idea of using Koester as well but you also have to bead blast the surface with many of these products and that is pretty costly as well. Best bet is to let it dry out for a few seasons.

People that use Koster are usually people in a hurry, like coporations wanting to open a fortune 500 retail outlet or hospitals and stuff. They don't want to wait because that costs thems tons mor emoney than the Koester is going to cost them.

When I lived in Dallas which is where I saw all of this soil stabilization taking place the idea of the underground irrigation system was to basically spritz the soil on a regular basis with automatic monitoring. This would establish a certain moisture content in the soil expanding it to a pre-described point of saturation and then hold it there year round. It would automatically adjust for droughts and monsoons. Proper landscaping was also part of the program.

In large commercial developments lime is injected or folded into the soil prior to construction to provide soil stabilization.

Is there any particular brand/type of carpet that's better suited to high humidity conditions than most? I'd really like to stay with a traditional type home carpeting but would consider indoor/outdoor types depending on how much of a basket case this slab situation turns out to be after it has dried as much as it's going to...

Foundation is responsible for supporting the substructure of the home and it works hand and hand with existing soil condition if there were no concrete footings, the concrete slab would crush or crack under the weight of the load bearing exterior walls and the load bearing interior walls.*

Latest posts

Back