Confused - Need help on floor prep

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-jacobs

My house is built on concrete slab and has ceramic tile over 1200 sqft area. All the bedrooms are carpeted.

Most foundations in Houston shift causing cracks. I want to replace the floor and leaning towards purchasing Armstrong vinyl sheet like Woodcrest x2530

Here is what different contractors told me (I need an unbiased, professional to weigh in) :

1. Pick up the ceramic tiles, clean, fix the cracks if any, float the floor, install the vinyl. I am so not looking forward to the mess.

2. Fill in the grout lines, install the vinyl on top. Is this shortcut legit? Okay for the vinyl floor?

3. Pick up the ceramic tiles, put some kind of a membrane (would prevent future cracks he said), install the vinyl.

Would anyone be so kind to comment?

TJacobs

Thank you for the quick response and advise. I read and downloaded the guide. My takeaway from this is:

a. That flex membrane underlayment one contractor was talking about is out for vinyl sheets; (I think that contractor is out as well).

b. It is more complex than I originally thought. Take a look at this: "Seams must be double-cut. Straight edge and butt method of seaming is not recommended for this product." And "Use a sharp utility knife with a straightedge as a guide to double-cut through both pieces of material. Most patterns will have a grout line where the seam should be cut. Hold the knife blade vertical, at a 90 degree angle to the floor when cutting the seam, to ensure a straight, clean cut." But, that's okay I trust the pro to know how to do this.

c. I'll have to be careful when choosing someone to put vinyl sheet floor down. Particularly in Houston since it is not a primary choice of flooring. I just like it for its softness, quietness, ease of cleaning, and beauty all rolled into one.

Thank you for helping. When this project is through, I'll post before and after pics.

tjacobs

t-jacobs said:
c. I'll have to be careful when choosing someone to put vinyl sheet floor down. Particularly in Houston since it is not a primary choice of flooring.

Yes, Houston is a haven for hacks. Armstrong certifies installers on their material.
http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/certified-installers.html

See if you can get some references and photos not just before and after (anyone can kipe those off the Internet) but of the process.

Seaming is not as difficult as one thinks. Align the pattern, be straight on the walls, trim out area around seam about two feet in each direction...this helps keep it from shifting, lay edge on vinyl and double cut. Actual trimming it out is more difficult. But you use trim anyways. Undercut doorcasings a bit.

I do enjoy a vinyl job now and then.

Vinyl has a different reputation around here. It's like the last girl in the bar. You don't want to, but you kind of have to because options are limited.

FloorMaven, I visited one of Armstrong's certified installers on the list, and they looked at me like I was that last girl in the bar that Ken is talking about. I found 3 more installers on Armstong's last page which are within 15 miles. I'll check with them.

Is vinyl sheet really at the bottom of the barrel?? I'm fond of it but not married to it. I like tiles (made of some stone) but b/c the house shifts, I don't want it to look like FloorMaven's pic. I already have few of those. Laminate planks sound awful.

t-jacobs said:
Is vinyl sheet really at the bottom of the barrel?? I'm fond of it but not married to it. I like tiles (made of some stone) but b/c the house shifts, I don't want it to look like FloorMaven's pic. I already have few of those. Laminate planks sound awful.

Qualified resilient sheet installers are a dying breed. Most work in the commercial, institutional sector of the industry. Finding a good one wiling to do residential work will take some doing. These are the most meticulous installers in the trade, so as their numbers dwindle in favor of the new breed of what I call the 'clic installer', the materials they specialized in fall out of favor. The last girl in the bar is still there only because she's picky and most guys don't meet her standards.

A general rule with flooring for as long as I can remember has been the less seams the better. For sheet vinyl, Subfloors have to be smoother, cleaner and flatter more than any other floor covering. They need to be relatively stable as well especially if you are adhering directly. In your case a floating option would probably make sense. If you can't match an installer to your floor than you are probably best to find a clic floor that suits your needs.

like the song goes----what is hip today will soon become passe-----------------what the knotheads are referring to is what the current trend in flooring is---this might matter to you if you are selling your home asap or if you ride every current trend like a surf board---i do not pretend to know what the trend might be in 10 years but i assure you it will not be what is in style now---that being said a lot of pompous jerks like to look down on vinyl----yet it is the softest most waterproof and easiest to clean floor out there---i would suggest being cutting edge in your wardrobe and get a floor that fits your NEEDS!

Y'all leave that last girl in the bar alone. The last guy in the bar who is looking at her is just as pathetic. As far as that Chris tub-o-lard Christie, maybe New Jersey will beach that whale soon.

Anyway, or anyways as they say in NJ, as far as my dilemma with my floor, I came here b/c as FloorMaven, Floorist, and Rugaddict alluded, good vinyl sheet installers are hard to come by. You gave me really good advice. I'll do my homework, make a decision and move forward. I'll even post before and after pictures of my project.

In the meantime, if any of you show up in Houston let me know, I'll treat you to a beer at the nearest bar....

TJ

Our boy's looking good after the surgery. Dropped a ton of weight. Not really the point, I know, lol. Good luck! I look forward to pictures! I will definitely take you up on that cold one if I ever make it down to your neck of the woods. We can go together so neither one of us is last, HAHA!

First, A big thank you for all who took the time to answer my questions and guide me. You all have been great help.

Just to remind you, my question was regarding floating the ceramic tiles vs. picking them up and then putting down vinyl sheet.

Forgive the grainy pictures. Here is my breakfast area before:

[moderator deleted due to virus notification]

Here it is after:

It was not easy to find a vinyl sheet installer and after much searching I hired one who did a great job. Cannot tell where the seam is, no damage when the refrigerator or washer and dryer were moved, and left the place completely clean.

The whole job took longer than I originally planned, but the delay was due to me been way too busy at the office. I just could not take any time off for the floor project.

All of you are my heroes!

TJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back