Cordless Brad Nailers

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driftinwoods

Kinda bummed my Metabo air assisted 18 ga nailer started leaking air and it's only like maybe 2 years old. The last one lasted five years. n

So I'm looking at cordless ones. I've been buying a lot of DeWalt cordless stuff so I may have to stick to DeWalt but dang, $289 with no battery. I've got three batteries so I may have to suck it up since most other 20v and even 18v ones are that much with a battery. DeWalt does have some nice features to it. As in brushless like the oscillating tool is bad ass.

Anyone have one they like? I'm not stuck on DeWalt but it seems like they are taking advantage of people who already have their battery powered stuff and they know you'll pony up. It would be nice if i could find one that uses DeWalt batteries. Ha!

I am unimpressed with my Dewalt cordless nail gun. It was a gift from a friend otherwise I wouldn’t even own it.

I don’t like the wind up firing mechanism that Dewalt uses. The gun thumps more which ups your chances of leaving visible tool marks. Milwaukee uses a nitrogen air spring firing mechanism so it doesn’t thump as much. You’re also not listening to the constant whirring of the wind up momentum firing mechanism.

Then there’s the firing pin. The bigger holes are from my 16 gauge Paslode, the smaller ones that damn near look like staple holes are from my Dewalt 18 gauge cordless nail gun. That alone right there ensures I’ll never use that gun on anything that really matters.

image.jpg

You can buy battery adapters that will allow you to use your Dewalt batteries with a Milwaukee tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-Batte...ukee+to+dewalt+battery+adapter,aps,443&sr=8-4

I saw those holes on a video review. I wonder if it's the depth adjustment set too high? Seems logical.
Anyways I decided to just buy the regular pneumatic. These cordless ones are just to expensive. I can buy 3 pneumatic ones for those prices. Need one for Monday, so it is.
I bought a harbor freight combo brad nailer/stapler 18ga on sale for like 20 bucks. Still can't get myself to use it. I bought it for back up when in the field.

It’s the shape of the firing pin itself that is much wider than a typical firing pin. I could file the sides of the pin down so it leaves less of a bullet wound in the wood but why would you spend $300 on a nail gun that you have to modify yourself. If you adjust the depth of drive to its minimum you’ll just end up going back and hand setting all the under driven fasteners. That’s gonna take time and you’ll end up leaving a nail punch hole that’s gonna be just as ugly as the hole you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Another thing is the Dewalt gun is heavy. Put a 5 amp hour battery on it and it becomes even heavier.

Believe me I love my Dewalt tools but their nail guns and saw blades don’t impress me.

I would assume Metabo sells repair kits. I bought a new piston, cylinder, driver and seals for my 1990 Senco SKS 1/4 inch stapler.
Every part on my antique gun is compatible with the newest version of it.

I would assume Metabo sells repair kits. I bought a new piston, cylinder, driver and seals for my 1990 Senco SKS 1/4 inch stapler.
Every part on my antique gun is compatible with the newest version of it.
Yeah that's what I liked about the brad nailer, it stayed exactly the same.
I should look up repair kits. I have two broke ones now.
I'm not happy the seal went within two years. I totally abused the one that lasted five and rarely oiled it.

Yeah that's what I liked about the brad nailer, it stayed exactly the same.
I should look up repair kits. I have two broke ones now.
I'm not happy the seal went within two years. I totally abused the one that lasted five and rarely oiled it.
Tools are like cars. Once you get to the 75,000 mile mark everyone thinks you have to buy a new car.
In your case it's more like 8,000 miles. It's probably just O-rings.
At some point you need to decide to go all electric or hang on to some really nice tools that might last for another 20 years.

Tools are like cars. Once you get to the 75,000 mile mark everyone thinks you have to buy a new car.
In your case it's more like 8,000 miles. It's probably just O-rings.
At some point you need to decide to go all electric or hang on to some really nice tools that might last for another 20 years.
And buy like ten O ring kits.

Do you guys use caps or mini condoms to cover the air coupler on your guns when not in use. A piece of stray grit making its way into your gun is a quick way to have to take your gun apart and clean it out.

I keep my mini hose plugged into my little bitty senco 1/2 hp 1gal compressor. That's a good idea though. Finger cots work well.

So I ordered the plain Jane DeWalt and the Porter-Cable battery powered 18ga and there ain't no way I'm lugging that big azz f'er around.
Dang it's ugly and prolly won't fit it places so I'd have to drag out my compressor anyways.
I'd use a corded nailer first.
Convenience be dammed.
And it does not have a case.

Edit: Makes clean holes though. And is about the cheapest battery powered one. Sending it back.

Attachments

• 20230326_092915.jpg
    20230326_092915.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230326_092900.jpg
    20230326_092900.jpg
  • 20230326_092845.jpg
    20230326_092845.jpg
  • 20230326_092800.jpg
    20230326_092800.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have the Dewalt and as I don't have anything to compare it to, I love the thing.

I bought it on a whim. I had maybe 200' of shoe to put down, my compressor was out of commision and I didnt feel like fixing it, so I splurged. I don't do a lot of hard surface so figured there would be some buyers remorse but never, not one time, no way. I use it all the time, though I usualy have to chase it down and borrow it back from my brother in law who has taken a shine to it. I do a lot of stair runners and for some reason lately have had a bunch that had quarter round on every step. Unlike my fellow local neanderthintallers, I won't just go over it and leave a pretty bump on every step, just bang bang and I'm done.

So yeah, you can pry it from my cold dead fingers, unless of course you're my brother in law, in which case he just waits til I am distracted by... Oh look a squirrel!

If you use an air compressor, they sell a Porter cable set of an air compressor with 3 different nail guns. They have sales on them for $199 from time to time. I believe it was from HD. The staple gun I got separately worked great with the compressor to staple some stuff up in my pantry. My friend has used the brad nailer I think. Porter-Cable 6 Gal. 150 PSI Portable Electric Air Compressor, 16-Gauge Nailer, 18-Gauge Nailer and 3/8 in. Stapler 3 Tool Combo Kit PCFP12234 - The Home Depot

You can probably get just the brad nailer separately. Ryobi has a cordless one with battery and charger for $159. RYOBI ONE+ 18V 18-Gauge Cordless AirStrike Brad Nailer with 1.5 Ah Battery and Charger P321KN - The Home Depot

Rigid has a pneumatic one for $79. RIDGID Pneumatic 18-Gauge 2-1/8 in. Brad Nailer with CLEAN DRIVE Technology, Tool Bag, and Sample Nails R213BNF - The Home Depot

That probably won't help if you're set on Dewalt, but they are options.

Edit: I found a buying guide: Which Cordless Brad Nailer is the Best?

I have a pneumatic Porter Cable Brad nailer that is 30+ years old than still works perfectly.
My son has the DeWalt cordless it’s kinda big and like Chris said it winds up each time it fires.

I love my M18- gen2 Brad nailer. I use it almost everyday. The M12- 23 gauge pin nailer is Awsome too! I use that for base shoe.
15FA54CA-39B1-4946-A551-DB09C9E6654B.png
09EAFBFB-B7F7-459D-BE0B-95DF4B55B565.png

When I get a trailer I want it to be set up just as nice as your trailer is, minus the tack strip.

Serious question: Milwaukee pack out or Dewalt tough system. I see you have them both. Which one takes the cake.

Milwaukie is expensive but good quality. I got a pry bar and some blades of that brand when the other stuff I had wasn't cutting it.

Chris, the Dewalt corner is my son’s.
He is a DeWalt guy.
The Milwaukee Packout is leap years ahead in quality and the amount of products they offer.
My son had tough system and upgraded most of his cases to the 2.0 and they are not compatible with each other. He has a really nice 4 bay rapid charger and it won’t connect to his new boxes… typical DeWalt shit.

Latest posts

Back