Cork in basement over existing vinyl?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bps23

I have spoken with a few different alleged 'experts,' and they've all convinced me cork would be fine in the basement, assuming it's waterproof. I have an existing vinyl tile layer that's down, and it potentially has asbestos. What are my options for laying cork tile? I would obviously like to avoid having to remove the existing floor and stir up any caustic material.

Another issue, assuming I can leave the existing floor, is there are a few places where the tiles have popped up. I was planning on using leveling compound to fill in the low spots.

So my questions are...
1) Would gluing the tiles to the existing floor be an option?
2) If not, can I find an underlayment to put overtop the existing floor or does it all have to go?
and
3) What type of adhesive would be best for the situation that I need?

The tiles that I'm planning on laying are below...

http://www.builddirect.com/cork-flooring/-vinho/productdisplay_9089_p1_10084479.aspx

Thanks for your help.

IMG_20141110_080109_872.jpg

cork is not a good option for a basement in my opinion----its a risk reward thing---the cork i have run into is a pricey product and the risk of moisture in a basement is rather high----was it moisture or movement that caused your tiles to lift and crack?----looks a little moldy to me----i would suggest a laminate or even better ---a vinyl plank

Looks like VAT with cutback adhesive under it (the black stuff). Read the manufacturers installation requirements very carefully, and the adhesive manufacturers requirements and limitations. Moisture testing is required. If your still unsure call them and ask for the tech dept.

Specs say ABOVE GRADE.

Read further into installation instruction and warranty info.

You'd have to have severe brain damage to ignore all those precautions and put this stuff in a basement.

CAN it work?

Yes. I could make that work for you but it would cost 10-20 times the material costs for all the trouble it would take to protect that cork from NORMAL basement conditions.

It's embarrassing for our industry that anyone should even be asking this question in the 21rst Century.

The product specification says that this cork floor product is an above grade product. So you may have some issues installing it in your basement.

Latest posts

Back