Crain 280 Air mover

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
I finally pulled the trigger on a air sled after 34 years of installing. This is an awesome tool.
I used it today to move a washer and dryer.
I moved them to one side of the room and installed 1/2 way across the room. The tool alowed me to get over and onto the 3/8” thick flooring without the appliances touching the floor.
I have wanted on for years and don’t think I’ll ever regret this purchase.
9BC30DBC-5144-499E-B8CD-1FCD8F663317.jpeg
9F59C3ED-EE5C-4867-A7D6-4B6247868663.jpeg

You mention the air sled bridging 3/8" new floor. How high of a transition could it ride over? I'm guessing it doesn't work over carpet.

I haven’t tried to bridge anything else but I was told it’ll ride up and over three-quarter inch hardwood.
For carpet there is Teflon sheets you lay out and it rides over them
I use it again today I was able to push a wash machine into place by using my pinky😎

The air sleds will float maybe 1/4” in the air when doing their thing. If you wanna ride a fridge up onto 3/8” you will have to work it a little bit. Fridge wheels might hit or something like that. So yes it will float a fridge up onto 3/8 but you’ll have to use more than your pinkie.

Now 3/4” is a stretch. Due to the angle of the skids while traversing the 3/4” difference you will have to help it up or down cus it will lose its float power but once flat you’re back to using one finger again.

I’ve pushed Subzero fridges around with ease and those things are pretty damn heavy. I’ve come across maybe one or two fridges through the years that didn’t play nice. One was just plain damn heavy. The air sleds still helped though. Another thing is the sleds have to be flat for them to float so you gotta position them correctly. Every once in a blue moon I’ll run across an appliance, usually a dryer, that has a funky underside frame so I gotta tweak the sleds to get them just right so they stay flat.

How many of you check inside the fridge before you move it? You know there’s a pitcher of OJ just waiting to be spilled.

I’ve pushed Subzero fridges around with ease and those things are pretty damn heavy. I’ve come across maybe one or two fridges through the years that didn’t play nice. One was just plain damn heavy. The air sleds still helped though. Another thing is the sleds have to be flat for them to float so you gotta position them correctly. Every once in a blue moon I’ll run across an appliance, usually a dryer, that has a funky underside frame so I gotta tweak the sleds to get them just right so they stay flat.

How many of you check inside the fridge before you move it? You know there’s a pitcher of OJ just waiting to be spilled.
I did a kitchen once where the door flew open and a jello type salad flew out and landed upside down on the back of the carpet. Very carefully picked it all up and smoothed it out and put it back in the fridge. When we were almost done and fridge was back in place the customer opened the fridge door, saw the jello and said you guys tipped over the salad didn't you? Not lying I said we did, how did you know? She said it it smooth on top and it is supposed to be rough. After that she said ooh well it is to be taken to a wedding this afternoon.

I keep pieces of luan in my van for moving stuff. I also have some furniture/ appliance lifts, carts, slides.....you name it. Still don't want to move people's shit! But the right tools make all the difference.

Great tool to have in the van. Get yourself some 1x4 wood pieces the length of the sled, to take up the height difference for appliances that are higher off the floor.

Great tool to have in the van. Get yourself some 1x4 wood pieces the length of the sled, to take up the height difference for appliances that are higher off the floor.
Thanks for the tip.
I haven’t run into that situation yet, but I could see where this would work. 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back