Creative Carpet Stretching

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AWESOME!!!

Worked with a guy years ago who obtained a patent for a stretcher adaptation that worked somewhat similar to what you're showing but it was mainly designed for angling off narrow, but very long hallway/corridors. (commercial)

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3752440A/en
He had a VERY long story about how Crain stole his invention, violated his patent rights with their version of something very similar. The story was much longer than I could follow on our coffee/lunch breaks. He probably tried to tell it to me 10/15 times. I really enjoyed working with him but in all reality he was batshit crazy.

First post to the forum. Today, I had condo re-stretching throughout.
Had get creative pull the hall & and keep angle straight for doorway.​

I love it when I have jobs in town so I can check them out beforehand. I get a bit creative like that too using combinations of stretcher tubes and some 4x4s. I'm guessing you're on concrete? I don't see tubes used very often.
Looks like they didn't stretch the carpet the first time around, just tucked it in.
Welcome to the site.

I love it when I have jobs in town so I can check them out beforehand. I get a bit creative like that too using combinations of stretcher tubes and some 4x4s. I'm guessing you're on concrete? I don't see tubes used very often.
Looks like they didn't stretch the carpet the first time around, just tucked it in.
Welcome to the site.
Was on gypsum sub floor being condo.

AWESOME!!!

Worked with a guy years ago who obtained a patent for a stretcher adaptation that worked somewhat similar to what you're showing but it was mainly designed for angling off narrow, but very long hallway/corridors. (commercial)

He had a VERY long story about how Crain stole his invention, violated his patent rights with their version of something very similar. The story was much longer than I could follow on our coffee/lunch breaks. He probably tried to tell it to me 10/15 times. I really enjoyed working with him but in all reality he was batshit crazy.
Was he out in texas by chance? I remember found a guy on fb marketplace selling the patent to this or just selling it. He wanted like $1000 for it.

Was he out in texas by chance? I remember found a guy on fb marketplace selling the patent to this or just selling it. He wanted like $1000 for it.
No, he moved 3-4 hours north from here (SoCal) for the lower cost of living in his retirement years. I recall his mom lived in a small town a short drive from Bakersfield.

AWESOME!!!

Would not be surprised if Crain stole his invention. The Behr claws was invented in KC in the early 70s by an installer, Dick Victor. It was stolen from him. I tried the prototype.

Another trick. Attach a piece of rug hold pad to your butt board. You probably could have made that stretch without the contraption. You have to replace it every few months but it sticks to baseboard like glue when you are pulling away from an angle like that.
You could put a couple of screws through the foot of your stretcher and screw it to the baseboard. 😁🫣

Or a 2X4 nailed right through the carpet and into the floor.
I've actually done that before.
Pre-drill a 2x4 into places at a 45° angle with a hole coming out of one corner. Use your screw gun and put two, three inch long deck screws in the corner where the carpet and the baseboard meet.

Latest posts

Back