Crusing along with my ole Model A

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
She's around forty years old and ive never sharpened the blade. Work's great on vinyl plank. This is a mannington product with a rubber attached back.

20170517_103820.jpg

20170517_104614.jpg

20170517_111749_001.jpg

I prefer the Gundlach but I have that same Model A Crain and it's the next best thing. Seems lighter------not sure. I've popped the blades off both and used the same diamond sharpener I use on my heat welding skiving knife to bring back the newness for some very fine cuts with VCT.

Generally I score and snap LVT as it seems quicker to me.

Some of the heavy duty finishes they put on the commercial LVP---Amtico for sure can tweak the crap out of your blade. It's not that it dulls the blade so much as twists it out of square/true. It wasn't just the blade either. They had dorked up the entire mechanism. I don't know if I could fix it either unless they let me take it home and dissassemble it

I never did it on MY cutter but I've seen a few guys who forced the issues and REALLY leaned into the handle to make the cuts. Yeah, it cut the planks but a few weeks later when they tried to use it on VCT the damage was very obvious when you tried to cut back on the field tiles or re-make a factory edges like you have to do to get 3-5 cuts out of a single tile along a long wall in an irregular layout.

I've actually got 2 Crains and 2 Gundlachs in various states of disrepair. I do a lot of tile.

Latest posts

Back