Current news

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard they were doing this to get air conditioning to people and fund places where people could go to get relief from the heat.
Yay, a free government air conditioner program.

It's not weather anymore.
Wouldn't you think that with a year of COVID and with all the lock downs and shut downs, staying at home and everyone not driving.
......wouldn't that have stopped the current heat wave?
.....I meant climate emergency.
Yes, I know that less carbon was spewn into the air because of that, but that was temporary.
Just build nuclear and shut down the pie in the sky bs.
Just nuke DC and fix it all.

California has a new law that would basically do away with Independent contractors. It is to try to get all work done by employees. I made about 4 times as much as an independent that I could get as an employee. When I moved back to my hometown in '92, a store wanted me to install for minimum wage, about $4 an hour. I was making $2 a yd and could easily do 15-20 yards an hour. I laughed at him.
Wish I could go back to work. There is only one carpet installer here and he is not good.

If companies weren't constantly mis classifying employees as contractors to pad their own profits that wouldn't happen. I am willing to bet many guys wouldn't be contractors if they could get paid based on performance rather than hourly. Unfortunately our tax laws screw a lot of people out of being able to write off expenses related to work. That's part of the reason I went back to independent but I also want to build a company. Some guys just want to put food on the table.

The truth is racist

"From my very limited exposure in the past four months to the challenges of educating marginalized students especially in the black and brown community, I see one of the biggest challenges as being the lack of family support for those students," she wrote. "Unstable family environments caused by housing and food insecurity along with lack of parental encouragement to focus on learning cause children to not be able to focus on or value learning."

Hsu apologized for the remarks on Tuesday, saying she is "committed to listening, learning and growing as a person." Despite her apology, calls for her resignation by other San Francisco officials began to trickle in Thursday.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...-Editors-Picks

The truth is racist

"From my very limited exposure in the past four months to the challenges of educating marginalized students especially in the black and brown community, I see one of the biggest challenges as being the lack of family support for those students," she wrote. "Unstable family environments caused by housing and food insecurity along with lack of parental encouragement to focus on learning cause children to not be able to focus on or value learning."

Hsu apologized for the remarks on Tuesday, saying she is "committed to listening, learning and growing as a person." Despite her apology, calls for her resignation by other San Francisco officials began to trickle in Thursday.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...-Editors-Picks

The truth IS racist. Problem is we’re not allowed to say those things without offending people. My question is how can you fix a problem if you can’t even say what the problem is.

The truth IS racist. Problem is we’re not allowed to say those things without offending people. My question is how can you fix a problem if you can’t even say what the problem is.
I’ll take a crack 🥚 at answering that cp. How we fix it, takes care of why we fixed it. No need to name it, label it, or blame it. If others want to keep naming it , let them be who they are, just don’t allow them to change who you are, A person focused on HOW !

Naming the problem and offending people is over rated.

Cause effect blaming is a real dynamic that can’t be ignored, but 🤔 maybe in the best interest towards solutions, needs to be ignored.

It’s not our job to heal others pains, but it is our job to heal our own pain and it is in this process/ dynamic we demonstrate, mentor if you will, how others can do the same. This forward thinking on HOW ! To work out a challenge, eliminates the backward thinking of WHY ! …… not that the why doesn’t have value, it does, and all the more reason to act swiftly. A good analogy is how a first responder handles an emergency situation’ How, can we save this victim’ rather than why did this happen. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll take a crack 🥚 at answering that cp. How we fix it, takes care of why we fixed it. No need to name it, label it, or blame it. If others want to keep naming it , let them be who they are, just don’t allow them to change who you are, A person focused on HOW !

Naming the problem and offending people is over rated.

Cause effect blaming is a real dynamic that can’t be ignored, but 🤔 maybe in the best interest towards solutions, needs to be ignored.

It’s not our job to heal others pains, but it is our job to heal our own pain and it is in this process/ dynamic we demonstrate, mentor if you will, how others can do the same. This forward thinking on HOW ! To work out a challenge, eliminates the backward thinking of WHY ! …… not that the why doesn’t have value, it does, and all the more reason to act swiftly. A good analogy is how a first responder handles an emergency situation’ How, can we save this victim’ rather than why did this happen. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I always like the way you look at things, Mike.

If you’re trying to save a persons life then how they got into the situation they’re in doesn’t really matter. The difference is this specific problem isn’t a life or death situation. It’s a problem which is really just a symptom of a greater problem, the family unit or the lack there of.

If you have a child that has a shitty home environment, maybe a one parent home, drugs, lack of healthy food, moms a hooker, sleeping on the floor, etc. It’s a no brainer that a child in that environment will perform less than stellar compared to other children that have a better home environment. Isn’t this essentially what Hsu said with her observation. What is racist about that? Nothing other than the fact that you can’t say that without being called a racist.

So the first thing Hsu did wrong was to apologize. Maybe she should resign because clearly she doesn’t have a set of balls big enough to stand her ground when she did absolutely nothing wrong. Imagine if she came out and stood up for herself and called for the resignation of those calling for her resignation. Of course they won’t resign but this would then open the door to discuss Hsu’s observations.

My wife saw the same shit when she was teaching and it’s not just limited to black and brown families but it is definitely a bigger problem among those demographics of people. All you have to do is look at the performance of different schools and compare that to the racial make up of the residents of the neighborhoods where those schools are and you’ll come to the same conclusion as Hsu.

In the inner city, the young kids don't know any different. All of their role models are involved in guns/drugs/gangs. It is their culture. A few years ago in a survey, most expected to be dead by 30.

In the inner city, the young kids don't know any different. All of their role models are involved in guns/drugs/gangs. It is their culture. A few years ago in a survey, most expected to be dead by 30.

Now just imagine you’re a teacher trying to do your job and educate a classroom full of kids like this. It can’t be done. Or better yet imagine you’re a teacher that lives in a city that wants to try and implement performance based pay for teachers. Guess what, you won’t have any teachers that are willing to work in shitty school districts.

So the way to improve the situation is to improve the family unit. That means good role models, a stable home environment and healthy food for the kids to eat as well as all the other factors that go into sending a child to school with the ability to learn. Problem with this is that improving the family unit does nothing for increasing the school budget and increasing the school budget does nothing for improving the family unit. It’s a cultural problem that will never be solved by politicians or board members and if somebody points out the obvious they get called on to resign.

All you have to do is look at the performance of different schools and compare that to the racial make up of the residents of the neighborhoods where those schools are and you’ll come to the same conclusion as Hsu.

Thanks cp, right back at you. My brain goes towards philosophy and you’re a realistic / practical thinker, however, I need to be who I am, so I’m going to work it like a muscle. 😉 and keep going.

Hsu is focusing on the why, And on the naming it, which then turns into blaming it. “ IT “ is what it is, we can’t force a hooker to not be a hooker, but maybe we could help her by scheduling a parent teacher conference around her schedule. I know that sounds utterly ridiculous but if we truly want to help the child get a decent education despite their challenges then the focus needs to be on the responsibility of educating kids, not families. If the hooker asks for help , then maybe a referral number can be given to them……… Another analogy coming, 😜A Corgi herding dog 🐕 could care less about the personal feelings of who he’s herding. You are going to be herded no matter what, end of story. If every educator and administrator had the same focus of educating children no matter what the circumstances are, the people creating the circumstances imho will have to eventually see the results, but then again who cares, because there carrying is there responsibility.

Personally I have no issue with Hsu’s comments, but others do and that’s because they are still personally offended. This is there issue that they need to work out on there own. Her apology imho is strength in empathy for others who are still stuck on blaming. Even though we can learn from the Corgi, we still need to keep it human and give each other understanding and forgiveness. I hope that makes sense, ??

Now just imagine you’re a teacher trying to do your job and educate a classroom full of kids like this. It can’t be done. Or better yet imagine you’re a teacher that lives in a city that wants to try and implement performance based pay for teachers. Guess what, you won’t have any teachers that are willing to work in shitty school districts.

So the way to improve the situation is to improve the family unit. That means good role models, a stable home environment and healthy food for the kids to eat as well as all the other factors that go into sending a child to school with the ability to learn. Problem with this is that improving the family unit does nothing for increasing the school budget and increasing the school budget does nothing for improving the family unit. It’s a cultural problem that will never be solved by politicians or board members and if somebody points out the obvious they get called on to resign.
I live in a small almost all white city. My daughter has a teaching certificate but can't afford to teach. Hell, police here start at $16.69 an hour.

The degradation of the family unit doesn’t care what color you are, it affects everyone. Now how this family unit stuff applies to what you just said is this: Imagine if you had multiple generations living in the same house. Grandma/ grandpa would be home when the kids get home from school, providing a healthier environment than what a lot of families currently have going on. Mom & dad can concentrate on their careers a little more without the family unit having to sacrifice. You don’t have to pay for day care. Hopefully the family is sitting down and eating meals together. Incomes can be combined and/ or costs can be split. Life overall is better for everyone and $16/ hr to start wouldn’t be a deal breaker if it meant having the ability to start and follow a career that you loved.

Somehow we’ve come to associate moving out and being on your own with success when the reality is it’s just the opposite.

I live in a small almost all white city. My daughter has a teaching certificate but can't afford to teach. Hell, police here start at $16.69 an hour.
Does the police force require a college degree? What’s it go up to after say 5 years?

I know it’s different everywhere. Here on Long Island teachers and cops do pretty well if they stick it out… Of course our school taxes are through the roof but I guess everything has to come from somewhere.

The degradation of the family unit doesn’t care what color you are, it affects everyone. Now how this family unit stuff applies to what you just said is this: Imagine if you had multiple generations living in the same house. Grandma/ grandpa would be home when the kids get home from school, providing a healthier environment than what a lot of families currently have going on. Mom & dad can concentrate on their careers a little more without the family unit having to sacrifice. You don’t have to pay for day care. Hopefully the family is sitting down and eating meals together. Incomes can be combined and/ or costs can be split. Life overall is better for everyone and $16/ hr to start wouldn’t be a deal breaker if it meant having the ability to start and follow a career that you loved.

Somehow we’ve come to associate moving out and being on your own with success when the reality is it’s just the opposite.
But grampa and grandma divorced and grandma's boyfriend drinks too much.
Today's family disconnects are going to take multiple generations to fix. Way too much empathy, sympathy and government free candy. It feels good but makes the problem worse...... so it gets fixed by more handouts and gets worse because generations learn handouts and freebies are to be expected.

Last edited:
Does the police force require a college degree? What’s it go up to after say 5 years?

I know it’s different everywhere. Here on Long Island teachers and cops do pretty well if they stick it out… Of course our school taxes are through the roof but I guess everything has to come from somewhere.
President Newsom to the rescue 🛟

But the black are more apt to kill each other. They are 14% of the population and commit 60% of all murders and 70% of all violent crime.

Latest posts

Back