customer with a bouncy floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I measured up a job months ago and an older gentleman wanted to install a click together plank. He was also considering another plank product like XL flooring's Drop N Done product. That's the quarter inch thick material that has no tongue and groove. You can glue it or you can just fit it tight to the walls so the planks can't move around.
This is an older single wide mobile home. I noticed the waviness in the floor because of the single layer particle board that they put in these older homes.
Because the floor flexes in between the joists I thought that Drop N Done product might work.
I told him the floor could not be leveled or flattened because with the flex and the floor it would break up the filler over time.
Long story short, I revisited the site to make more accurate measurements as he has decided he would like to get this job done.
I paid more attention to the movement of the floor this time and I'm questioning using that Drop N Done plank. It might work, because it lays flat on the floor even when you butt two edges together..... It conforms, unlike a click lock.
Next I suggested overlaying the area with plywood but that would double the entire cost. To buy and uninstall the plywood would approach 2000 bucks at $90 per sheet or whatever that's going for these days. The total area is less than 400 ft and includes a small kitchen a dining room/ living room area with a wood stove and a 3 ft x 15 ft hallway.
That loose lay plank might actually work and he has zero concerns about the waviness of the floor. The living room had carpet but it's currently bare particle board.
He just wants to get the floor looking better. I'm thinking maybe some 12 ft sheet vinyl, might be better, but part of it, the tiny kitchen has existing vinyl flooring that would need to be skim coated.
It would need to be a durable sheet vinyl not a soft cushy one. He has a small table in the kitchen and has two computer type chairs with wheels. He also uses a walker to get around. He's a small guy, not a 250 pounder.
Don't tell me, run Forrest run.
He understands in great detail that anything we do is sketchy because of the substrate that he has. He doesn't care, because it looks so crappy right now, anything that happens we'll be better.
Because of the chairs I don't think a loose lay vinyl would work.
6 ft commercial sheet goods would put a seam right underneath with one of the chairs sits, so if it's vinyl, it needs to be 12 ft material.
Okay, we've all worked in these older mobile homes with particle board and the bouncy floor.
Any thoughts on my Bouncy House job?

If the shop will stand behind the job and not throw you under the bus then just install a decent floating floor and see what happens. If you really wanna do the customer right then it’s a layer of 1/4” and sheet vinyl.

As far as price goes the customer might care about price but I don’t. A job costs what a job costs to do it right. Otherwise you get what you get and I don’t wanna hear it when shit goes south.

Shop isn't involved. Customer has a vinyl floor with holes in it and the living room has a particle board floor. Looks like crap and any result to him is better than what he's got. He really doesn't care.
Maybe just install 3/4 inch plywood, then add a couple coats of poly and call it done. Sha bang! Same original cost, and a real wood floor 👍😁

See.... anything is better. 😉

Attachments

• PXL_20220326_003047752.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220326_003047752.MP.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220326_003058816.jpg
    PXL_20220326_003058816.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 28
Alright, so it’s just you and you’re trying to help a dude out. Throw a floating floor in there and be done with it. Or how about loose lay sheet goods. You can get some of that pretty cheap and it works just fine. Now you’re saving on plywood and it will look better when you’re all done.

As far as throwing in some 3/4” and finishing that, that’s not such a crazy idea. I met a customer years ago that had 2 or 3 young kids. They removed all their carpet, sanded down the OSB subfloor and poly’d it. It’s genius if you think about it because that carpet would have gotten trashed a couple times throughout the kids growing up. If they DIY’d it they were prolly out less than 1K.

Those things come with loose lay vinyl. I would toss in another felt/paper back and maybe perimeter glue it in and call it a day.

No reason he couldn't get 10+ years out of that.

I remember years ago a house that had varnished particle board for the paneling on the inside walls. Did not look too bad. Sometimes, anything is better than what you have.

ng Those things come with loose lay vinyl. I would toss in another felt/paper back and maybe perimeter glue it in and call it a day.
No reason he couldn't get 10+ years out of that.
This is OLD glue down material in the kitchen and hall. Has green felt and a dark adhesive. The existing isn't soft and cushy like many of today's vinyl products. I'm guessing an early 70s home.
He has a box of those Drop N Done planks. Maybe I could use heavy double faced tape and tape one piece in place to keep it from moving them stack the rest of the planks in place as if it was installed and let them walk across them for a couple weeks....... then see how it behaves.
Yup, a weird job for sure.

ng Those things come with loose lay vinyl. I would toss in another felt/paper back and maybe perimeter glue it in and call it a day.

This is OLD glue down material in the kitchen and hall. Has green felt and a dark adhesive. The existing isn't soft and cushy like many of today's vinyl products. I'm guessing an early 70s home.
He has a box of those Drop N Done planks. Maybe I could use heavy double faced tape and tape one piece in place to keep it from moving them stack the rest of the planks in place as if it was installed and let them walk across them for a couple weeks....... then see how it behaves.
Yup, a weird job for sure.

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck 🤞

Here is what floorist said:
I remember years ago a house that had varnished particle board for the paneling on the inside walls. Did not look too bad. Sometimes, anything is better than what you have.
I remember years ago a house that had varnished particle board for the paneling on the inside walls. Did not look too bad. Sometimes, anything is better than what you have. My grandparents had what we call OSB on the walls of an enclosed sun porch, varnished. I don't think it was called OSB back in the 50's.
Something happened with Floorist quote. I said what is in the box.

Last edited:
How about some carpet?

I don't think anyone recommend the obvious solution. Or carpet tile? I did some 8" x 36" carpet tile that looked pretty sharp.

Bingo, problem solved!

Old man can stop looking at particle board & you got yourself a little job.

Everyone is happy 😁

The material is going in the kitchen and the tiny living room has a wood stove on a 4 ft by 4 ft brick hearth. 75% of the room never really gets used so it's kind of a pathway to get to the hallway.
He's in his 80s if I had to guess.

Well, had to get the job moving...
...can't delay everything. 🫣
Decided to support the important parts of the floor, but I'm doing it from the top side.
Much easier from the top side than crawling underneath the moble home to add supporting material.
I just cut a rectangular hole in the floor between the joists, then added 2, two by fours to strengthen up the previously unsupported particle board.
Notta-bouncy-floor-now.
I did two sopports this afternoon. The floor feels so, so much better. Confidence restored. This might actually make his new planking work. 👍
As a reminder, this is not a click lock flooring. It's 1/4 in thick vinyl flooring in a plank form that has no tongue and groove. You fit it tight to the wall, keep fitting the planks tight till you get to the other side of the room and then fit the final plank tight too, so the planks can't move. They are locked in place by the walls.
There are options where you can glue the perimeter, or glue the entire room with a pressure sensitive adhesive. I think I'm going to do a combination of both.
Between the flooring joists the particle board is only supported every 4 ft where it is seamed together. These 2!extra two by fours added between the joists are 8 in apart and give the flooring much, much more support.
I think I have this fix figured out now and I may even continue with another four or five of these fixes to stabilize the floor in the areas they actually use. This additional support would stop the flexing in the kitchen and the walking path they use through the living room and down the long hallway to the bedrooms. The rest of the floor is rarely walked on so there isn't much reason to do the entire floor this way.
The new 2x4 supports are installed not just with three and 1/2 inch decking screws, but everything is slobbered with urathane adhesive before I screw it in place.
The owner knows this installation isn't guaranteed by me or the plank manufacturer....... He simply doesn't care, he's tired of looking at the floor in the condition that has been in for the last 15 or 20 years.
I think this is going to work.

Attachments

• PXL_20220610_011749672.jpg
    PXL_20220610_011749672.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20220610_010126869.jpg
    PXL_20220610_010126869.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20220610_010117337.jpg
    PXL_20220610_010117337.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20220610_000315821.MP.jpg