Cutback removal for staining

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
A client has a son who will be running a laundromat. He has removed VCT and I loaned him a scraper to remove the hard to get areas along the walls.

OK, so prior to me meeting him, he was using lacquer thinner and later, paint thinner to clean the concrete. He stopped using laquer thinner because it evaporated so fast.
OK, not a recommended procedure........... but what's done is done.

Question I have for anyone with knowledge of concrete staining.
That is the planned finish for the floor in this laundromat.
Are there concrete stains that will work over this surface?
It's pretty clean in there now, but we all know that cutback bleeds into surfaces like vinyl flooring and discolors them unless encapsulated with a concrete leveling compound of some sort.

Long story short................ he wants to use the bare concrete floor as a finished surface in this laundromat, but he want's to stain it.
This does not need to be an award winning concrete floor when he's done, just simple to maintain and durable.

Are there concrete stains that are compatible with cutback residue? This is the main point of my question.

The concrete has no visible trowel marks from the cutback. It's pretty darn clean.
That said, the old concrete has obviously got some cutback embedded because of the cleaning method with the paint thinner.

Any suggestions on methods or products he can apply to get a relatively decent finish on this floor?
He's not contemplating paint............ he want's stain if that's at all possible.

I told him that I'd ask the pros .............and on this subject, I ain't one :D

Latest posts

Back