Cutting-Back

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floorfixer

Various methods are used when sanding over the surface of wood flooring very minimally which is commonly known as ‘cutting-back’, and also known as ‘flatting-back’ or ‘de-knibbing’ any grain-raise between coats of finish, and thought it would be interesting to know what other floor sanding professionals have found to give the best results.

I consider this to be an especially important part of the wood floor finishing process after applying the initial coat and before applying subsequent (top) coats. The products I have used over the years include very ‘fine abrasive discs’ attached to the buffing machine, ‘scrad-pads’ used together with ‘scrad-wings’, fine mesh ‘metal screens’, and darker coloured ‘polishing pads’.

All these techniques have been successful at one time or another on many species of wood and different types of finish or stain, but it would be nice to hear of a more universal system that would be suitable generally.

download.jpg

I always used a Nylon Screen ..

Latest posts

Back