Damaged Floor in a Foreclosure - Thoughts?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soe

Hi forum wise ones! I am putting a bid in on a VA foreclosure and it has some flooring issues, most notably the hardwood (i'm guessing engineered since I was actually able to peel back the layers!) in the living room that appears to be water damaged (it's not a roof leak so possibly from the sink nearby or a pipe in the floor (slab foundation) - I was hoping someone might be able to make an educated guess. If it's old damage and I just have to replace it that's one thing, but if there's a pipe/plumbing issue I'd want to consider that in my offer. Obviously, if my bid is accepted I'll do an inspection, but thought there might be some sleuths out there!

Also, in the garage, there are huge oil stains. I've never seen anything like it. Thoughts on how to clean it (maybe just clean then paint the floor)? Pics attached!

Sorry the pics are sideways . . . .

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Is there a crawlspace or is it on concrete? If crawlspace or basement it needs to be looked at. Could also be a leak in the wall plumbing.

No crawlspace - it's a slab in the south (Alabama). The house was winterized. It's possible it's from the wall - but the kitchen peninsula sink is right behind this patch. There also another on the opposite side of the living room right in front of the guest bathroom and there's also evidence of water damage on a ceiling which is directly below another bathroom. Given that the owners who were foreclosed onclearly kicked holes in doors and walls, I'm wondering if they didn't do something to cause the bathrooms and kitchen to flood right before they moved out. I'll only know if my bid is accepted and I get to do an inspection! Thanks!

No crawlspace - it's a slab in the south (Alabama). The house was winterized. It's possible it's from the wall - but the kitchen peninsula sink is right behind this patch. There also another on the opposite side of the living room right in front of the guest bathroom and there's also evidence of water damage on a ceiling which is directly below another bathroom. Given that the owners who were foreclosed onclearly kicked holes in doors and walls, I'm wondering if they didn't do something to cause the bathrooms and kitchen to flood right before they moved out. I'll only know if my bid is accepted and I get to do an inspection! Thanks!
That damage looks like a very slow leak that was going on for a long time, and most of it seems to be in this one area. It looks dry now.
If the home was unoccupied and the pipes froze, I suppose a leak might have been caused by that. Still it must have been a very tiny leak, otherwise the entire home would have flooded. I'd assume the water to the home would be turned off if the home was unoccupied for a long period of time.
If it was a sink's drain pipe had a pinhole in it, the pipe would only leak as water drips out the underside of the J-trap. (that's where a J-trap usually fails) The water would only leak for a few minutes each time the sink was used and the J-trap ran out of water. This condition would be spotted easily by looking under the sink.

Last edited:
I worked for a couple that was remodeling a kitchen. Once the cabinets were installed, I came to install a floating wood floor. I noticed water under the cabinet when I arrived. Further inspection showed the sink drain was cracked badly because there was a lot of pressure against the pipe when they screwed the cabinet base to the wall. The cracked drain line let a lot of water out when they used the sink and especially so when they used the dishwasher. Looking at the image again, I'm thinking it's probably not the J-pipe. That would have been really obvious if it was that bad.

Latest posts

Back