Dance mat installation in local studio

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Someone recommended me to install some specialized "dance mat" sheet goods in a local boys and girls club dance studio. They wanted it glued permanently and heat welded. 24 by 34 foot room with 48 or 60 inch material.
...............no thank you.
Most of the time these dance mats are taped together with gaffers tape so they can be transported if necessary.

Easy as riding a bicycle.
http://euro.harlequinfloors.com/uploads/5/downloads/Harlequin_practical_how_to_guide_-_EURO.pdf

Not that it makes a difference, but Studio is the one they picked.
The room is on the second floor of the building. They intalled 3/4 T&G plywood that is stamped "underlayment" on 2x4 sleepers. I suppose the sleepers give a tiny bit of bounce to the floor.
The plywood has a lot of well adhered knots in it and someone sanded it really smooth. I told em they would be better off using the tape together method like the other mats they use.
I have no clue where you'd find someone capable of heat welding this material. It's a hard surface with a softer underside............. not like the solid commercial vinyl we know of that is commonly heat welded.
I heard 'run Forest run' as soon as I saw the sample of the material.

Last edited:
That's what these are made for but this version can also be glued and heat or chemical welded. When taped, the tape has to be replaced often in heavy use and I guess that can get expensive over time. This place gets heavy use.
This dance studio business was once owned by a lady that lives a few stone throws away from me.
Over the years, they have rented multiple locations, only to have the locations sold, and then they get booted out.
This is a new location for the dance studio and it's now owned by the boys and girls club.

The location was the old Masons club. They have been at this large 2 story building for 40 or 60 years. They were negotiating renting the lower floor to the dance studio, then the masons wanted to sell the entire building............... no way they couldn't come close to affording that.
Here's the part Ern won't like........ :p
Remember about 10 years ago I sewed together and installed a woven stair runner for some rich people in a fancy house on "the hill". David gave me much helpful advise on that one.
..........you know, those rich people that don't pay enough in taxes? :rolleyes:
Well, the nasty rich lady I did that runner installation for.......... the one that doesn't pay enough in taxes, heard about this dilemma and cut a check and paid for the entire building so that the dance club wouldn't have to worry anymore.
Damn rich people! She probably did it just for the tax write off. :mad: :D:D:D
These same people have donated to the boys and girls club numerous times over the years. $20 grand the first time. .....and the nasty, rich, billion dollar national corporation he worked for matched their donation at least once that I know of. .......probably just for a tax write off. :rolleyes:
Odd thing is, hardly anyone knows the lady donated the money............ she did it quietly to avoid attention.
There are some good rich people out there that do good things. Not all of them put up billboards and neon lights when they do. Rich people are cool in my book and don't deserve the assumptions that the common folk throw at them out of hate and jealousy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back