Dealing with smelly funk

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.J.

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
It happens, we all stink at times. Knee pads are mainly what I’m thinkin of but pretty much anything that gets sweated on will eventually stink. My suspenders need a good cleaning every so often. I’ve used Lysol, baby powder and cologne to try and hide funk throughout the years. The best thing so far is when I’m done workin I lay my knee pads in the sun for maybe a half hour and the UV helps to keep the funk at bay. That works like a champ as well as I don’t work in shorts anymore. Less sweat on the pads. What if you live in a less than sunny part of the world, what have you found that works for you?
829B1376-4154-4DE6-9A13-AAB33AF3B6FF.jpeg

Oh man, my knee pads are so rank right now it isnt even funny. They beat my boots.
I also have stopped working in shorts, which makes me sad to think but it got to the point that my legs were getting raw from too much sweat/hair/funk that I could not do it.
I am going to try this sun thing that you have going on and see if that might not solve my problem. If not, I do believe that the next Marvel superhero might just spawn out of my knee pads and their toxicity

Hmmm. ..... I'm going to go out smell my knee pads when nobody's looking. Never have had a problem with mine. Nothing my nose is all that good but....
I'll sniff my knee pads. 😱
I've never felt the need for those fancy ones and I don't know what kind of pad they have.
The ones that I found most comfortable go by the name Pro Knee.
https://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-S9...b2dDbGljaz10cnVl#immersive-view_1628432888810They're the most comfortable, that I've ever worn and the pad does not seem to compact.

I never used to wear a knee pads. I had a vinyl job in a cabin that needed 30 sheets of underlayment plus an Armstrong commercial vinyl installed plus remove and replace base. I even put on three coats of wax before I left the job.
I knew, being on a hard surface that long was not going to be good for me so I went up to the hardware store and they had some of these. I absolutely love them. They don't ride down and they don't pinch the back of your leg or turn sideways. The pads are fairly thick neoprene type rubber.

Hmmm. ..... I'm going to go out smell my knee pads when nobody's looking. Never have had a problem with mine. Nothing my nose is all that good but....
I'll sniff my knee pads. 😱
I've never felt the need for those fancy ones and I don't know what kind of pad they have.
The ones that I found most comfortable go by the name Pro Knee.
https://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-S9...b2dDbGljaz10cnVl#immersive-view_1628432888810They're the most comfortable, that I've ever worn and the pad does not seem to compact.

I never used to wear a knee pads. I had a vinyl job in a cabin that needed 30 sheets of underlayment plus an Armstrong commercial vinyl installed plus remove and replace base. I even put on three coats of wax before I left the job.
I knew, being on a hard surface that long was not going to be good for me so I went up to the hardware store and they had some of these. I absolutely love them. They don't ride down and they don't pinch the back of your leg or turn sideways. The pads are fairly thick neoprene type rubber.
Ever had them scratch anything?

Oh man, my knee pads are so rank right now it isnt even funny. They beat my boots.
I also have stopped working in shorts, which makes me sad to think but it got to the point that my legs were getting raw from too much sweat/hair/funk that I could not do it.
I am going to try this sun thing that you have going on and see if that might not solve my problem. If not, I do believe that the next Marvel superhero might just spawn out of my knee pads and their toxicity

When I started layin floors I wore shorts and used them $20 knee pads. They started to turn rank after a couple months so I chucked them and bought a new pair. Once they get to a certain point they’re beyond help. Pro knee liners add up in cost too. I think the sun is more of a preventative to daily maintenance thing plus the sun comes in at a different angle the further south you are. Rebel flag sun works great. I got Joe Arpaio sun now and it puts odor in a tent and feeds it balogna sammichs. I wonder if your Canadian sunshine will be too polite to really slap around some ol knee funk. It was cloudy all the time in Portland so the sun wasn’t much help to me there.

I’ve read that putting them in the freezer will kill the bacteria but never tried it because I still have one of my tuff mags from when I was a teenager in there and I’m still waiting for it to straighten out.

I tried Lysol for a few months and that just made me smell like a pair of hot bowling shoes.

Van cologne was more for when I didn’t make it home at night and smelled like cigarettes and stripper the next day. Funny story about van cologne, I was walking through some store and asked the sales gal if she had any cheap assed cologne. She looked at me funny and I said yeah it’s cheap but better than smelling like ass. She hooked me up.

Ever had them scratch anything?
Nope. The shell is a stiff but flexible nylon like plastic and they have orange inserts that say KneePro. That part is softer than the plastic.
The only time you need to worry is if you are gluing down a vinyl floor and you were kneeling down the floor with excess or un flashed adhesive. I probably been using this brand for over 20 years. They are very comfortable.

Latest posts

Back