Dents in hardwood floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_nguyen

Hi everyone,

I was working on a painting project and the customer pointed out that their hardwood floors were extremely dented. I don't think we did it (I should have taken better pictures before starting the job) but also don't want to seem like I am avoiding responsibility if we did in fact do it. The ladders we use have rubber feet and we always put dropcloths underneath our ladders. Given the pictures of the dents, I want to ask the flooring community if this may have been the result of a ladder being dragged or existing dents that were stained over. I would think that an object needs to be heavier than a ladder for the dents to form. Additionally, the finish on the wood seems unharmed, just dented. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7390.jpg
    IMG_7390.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7388.jpg
    IMG_7388.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7389.jpg
    IMG_7389.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 117
Looks like something was rolled on it. The wood isn't chewed up at all.
Maybe some furniture was on top of a drop cloth and then pushed or moved?
Or maybe it was there before you got there. I can't imagine a ladder creating something that deep in oak. Ladders seem toe out of the question. I'm gonna say/guess furniture dents. Old furniture legs often have steel glides on them. Newer furniture usually has nylon glides. Customer may have scooted stuff while you were gone?

I agree with High. Those are marks from somethinng being slide across the floor, and like Hi said with the buttons on the bottom of the legs. Did you move the furniture and possibly slide it? If you didn't then I would contest it.

Rolling tool boxes usually roll and it would have to be pretty heavy to have that happen. There would be long "dents" in pairs or two pairs of dents. Again, oak is pretty hard. The dents don't look straight enough to be from rollers, especially not rubber or plastic ones.

I just noticed that 3 of those images has one deep round dent..... again making me thing metal button on heavy furniture legs, especially back legs. Measuring the distance between two dents, then comparing the width of your tool boxes or customers furniture could give you an answer.
One more idea on the deep dents. The longer, roller dents are not nearly as deep as the single dents, suggesting furniture setting in one place for a long time caused the deep ones.
Gotta go, Columbo is on. Maybe I'll get more ideas. 😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back