Difficulty of replacing ceramic with engineered wood?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluelessnj

My downstairs floorplan is this: entry to hallway, with living room on right, kitchen at end of hallway, family room to left of kitchen and dining room to the right, with living room adjacent to dining room.
I have ceramic tile in the family room and I’m going to be renovating the kitchen. I have wood-look vinyl in the dining amd living rooms. I was going to continue that into the kitchen but it’s very hard to clean. For that reason, I regret not going with engineered wood.
So, I was thinking of replacing the ceramic in the family room with engineered wood and putting that in the kitchen as well. I don’t want to touch the vinyl because it’s too new.
How messy and difficult is it to have a ceramic floor torn out?
It wouldn’t be possible to work over the ceramic floor, I assume because it would create too great a height difference with the vinyl planks in the hallway ans other rooms?
It would obviously be easier just to tile the kitchem but I have pets that run around the house and roughhouse and I’m afraid of the potential for injury with two rooms of ceramic.

If the tile is a mud bed or cement backer over a wood substrate it will be more difficult than on top of concrete.

I demo those all the time. Hardest part might be getting the thinset off the slab but I have a grinder hooked up to a vac system that does that.

Latest posts

Back