Dim the lights

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Hey Darol and Ernesto........... look up.
.........not yet, ya gotta wait a couple weeks. I think ya need a good view to the west. Darol, is that goin right over you?
Ernesto needs to take a drive I thinks.
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...see-the-eclipse?chromedomain=overheadbin&lite

Not sure of the time yet, but I think right near sunset.
I'll do some diggin.

Here's another view with more explanation. Area's in blue will see a partial eclipse.

http://www.rasnz.org.nz/Eclipses/2012Eclipses.htm#Sun1

This is an annular eclipse.
This means the moon will appear too small to totally block out the sun like a total eclipse does. It will be a dark spot centered in the sun and blocking most of it, but not all.

Ya need to find some safe viewing glasses tho........ special kind of cheap Mylar material made for looking at the sun so you don't go blind.
.........clouds also work, but the view isn't nearly as good. :D
I'll dig up some sources.

Sky and Telescope, or Astronomy magazine sometimes have these glasses in em when events like this happen. I will check. If they do, I will let ya know.

This kinda stuff don't happen very often, so be sure to make time to view it.
....with the special glasses tho....... no peekin without them, OK!

Last edited:
That's KOOL! I remember taking a box, poking a hole in it and when the rays went through the box, it would project onto whatever you had under it the copy of what's going on up in the sky. What's that song, "Cheap Sunglasses". :D I'll bet good sunglasses won't do the trick either.

Thanks for the tip Lo. Keep us tuned in.

Yea sweet, it's going right over AZ.

I think the Myans predicted this, could be the end of the world ya know. I might have to sacrifice some lambs

That's KOOL! I remember taking a box, poking a hole in it and when the rays went through the box, it would project onto whatever you had under it the copy of what's going on up in the sky. What's that song, "Cheap Sunglasses". :D I'll bet good sunglasses won't do the trick either.

Thanks for the tip Lo. Keep us tuned in.
I will. Just haven't looked for more info yet on times. Can't be hard to find tho. Must be a site that tells the beginning, full and end times for different locations.
Na, even expensive sunglasses won't work.
...............got a welders helmet? I think those work. If not, ya won't be able so see well enough to catch me. :D

Yea sweet, it's going right over AZ.

I think the Myans predicted this, could be the end of the world ya know. I might have to sacrifice some lambs
..........or donkeys. :D

Be careful with camera's, might be best not to try to take a photo with digital cameras unless you know there's a 'correct' way. Don't want to fry your spendy camera's electronics.

Last night and tonight it's really big. I just drove home from my neighbors house a couple miles away with no headlights. Dirt roads of course.:) You could see almost like it was day time. It's a biggin, as Al Bundy would say.:D

Where does a guy pick up Mylar glasses anyway?

Gee High, I thought with the title of this thread, you might have a girlfriend!:D

...you think I can't find a pretty one? :eek:
Na............. no girlfriend for me unless she's filthy rich and lives someplace else. :D
No need for excess baggage unless she can pay my bills. ;)

Last night and tonight it's really big. I just drove home from my neighbors house a couple miles away with no headlights. Dirt roads of course.:) You could see almost like it was day time. It's a biggin, as Al Bundy would say.:D

Where does a guy pick up Mylar glasses anyway?

They are cheap, ya just got to get em in time.
I think I have a pair that I got in a magazine years ago...... need to start lookin.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&outpu....,cf.osb&fp=c7ccecf670c53993&biw=1024&bih=632

Welders goggles, or just the replacement glass will work if it's #13 or 14 or higher.... never lower.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/3306081.html?page=2&c=y

Last edited:
This is what I got. First with my digital camera, no I was not looking through the viewer. Next was a pic of a home made viewer made with two paper plates. The others are very unusual and shadows on my wall with the sun shining through the trees, bottom right is a citrus tree but what looks like thousands of eclipses.

Shaw engineered Solar Eclipse 064.JPG

Shaw engineered Solar Eclipse 067.JPG

Shaw engineered Solar Eclipse 058.JPG

Shaw engineered Solar Eclipse 070.JPG

Shaw engineered Solar Eclipse 072.JPG

Shaw engineered Solar Eclipse 075.JPG

Last edited:
This is what it looked like from Phoenix. If you look hard enough you can make out the ring.

Eclipse-A.jpg

Eclipse-B.jpg

Eclipse-C.jpg

Eclipse-D.jpg

Eclipse-E.jpg

Eclipse-F.jpg

Latest posts

Back