Direction of vinyl planks?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax64

I am going to install LVP (COREtec) planks in the living room, hallway, dining room, and kitchen. I understand that I should aligning the planks parallel to the longest wall (see the picture below. The planks should go from the living room to the dining room (parallel to the patio sliding door). But what about kitchen? Should I put a transition strip between the dining room and the kitchen, so the planks will turn 90 degrees (longest, parallel down the kitchen floor)? the hallway will follow the same direction as the living/dining rooms. Your thoughts/opinions, please?
houseplan.jpg

What I tell people when I go to a job is to have a play with a few boxes to see which way looks better
I reckon one should always walk along the lines so spread a lot of planks out both directions
You could try loose laying some planks around the kitchen area to see how they look both ways, at right angles or following the rest to give you an idea of what its going to look like when you have finished
Personally I reckon the planks should go one way but you live there not me :)

Last edited:
I would love to have planks (all planks in all rooms) going the same direction. As you can see my drawing (picture in my first post) the planks would go in that direction - from the living room to the dining room. Do you think it will look ok - the planks will go from "cabinets to cabinets" direction instead of go "downward" from the dining room to the bottom?? I need more of your feedback and opinions. Thanks.

That way you will be walking along the planks coming in from the front door
I dont like the look when you are walking across planks
Where lines pick up if you were to lay them on the 45 one way you will be walking into the hallway from the front door
The other 45 will take you into the main area
Lay a box on the floor
Try it for kicks, which is why I ask people what direction they would like by spreading a few boxes around as most people want to walk along the lines

I believe as your picture is drawn, I would go parallel to the kitchen cabinets into the dining room and continue throughout the home.
I agree. The planks should go towards a light source (towards, not parallel to) the glass doors. It's also much more difficult to make a long angled taper like I see in your drawing. I'm referring to the fireplace.

Latest posts

Back