Do I need to self level floor?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_CC

Hello All,

Currently renovating my basement and am looking to put down Vinyl click plank. My current issue is that I have found about 3 spots that have a bit of a valley in the concrete. When I put a 4 foot level over the high spot the gap in areas range from about 1/8 - 1/4 inch.

My question is will self leveling concrete fix this? Should I grind down the high spots? Can I just lay a good underpad and lay the flooring?

Please help lol I've watched to many youtube DIY videos and just need some advice

Thanks in advance :)

The first thing to determine and maybe you already have is, are the problems high spots creating a dip, or dips that need to be filled.
Grinding off a high spot means much less filler, but grinding is messy. This would still be the best way.
If the problem is low spots, a floor patch can be used to screed across them to make them level. ....or flat. Flat is what you probably want.
How much area and how many rooms?
What is on the floor now?

The first thing to determine and maybe you already have is, are the problems high spots creating a dip, or dips that need to be filled.
Grinding off a high spot means much less filler, but grinding is messy. This would still be the best way.
If the problem is low spots, a floor patch can be used to screed across them to make them level. ....or flat. Flat is what you probably want.
How much area and how many rooms?
What is on the floor now?

So the room is a basement and the floor is concrete, nothing on the floor as of yet. The space is about 260 sqft but it's mainly in 1 corner of the room where when I put a 4 foot level that it's not fully level. So where I'm finding it not level is there is a crack that runs in the concrete from the corner into the middle of the space and all along that crack is where its not level.

Is there a lip or ridge along that crack as if that portion of the concrete slab has sunk? Like one edge of the crack is higher than the other?
I just popped into the website today and noticed your response. I have to get to a job today so I won't be able to respond back until tonight.

Is there a lip or ridge along that crack as if that portion of the concrete slab has sunk? Like one edge of the crack is higher than the other?
I just popped into the website today and noticed your response. I have to get to a job today so I won't be able to respond back until tonight.

Hey sorry for the late response, No there isn't a lip on the ridge of the crack. I had a friend come by who knows a bit more with concrete so we poured it out last night. So far it looks great only thing I've noticed is that there are some areas drying in different colours. Light grey and then some areas darker gray but its been about 24 hours since its been poured

Yes. I haven't used Mapai leveler, but others I've used show swirl patterns and coloration issues like you have.
I suppose as it's mixed and poured, there is some separation sn settling of the ingredients, probably more noticeable around the edges or as the material goes from deep to a thin feather edge.

Yes. I haven't used Mapai leveler, but others I've used show swirl patterns and coloration issues like you have.
I suppose as it's mixed and poured, there is some separation sn settling of the ingredients, probably more noticeable around the edges or as the material goes from deep to a thin feather edge.

Yes I asked a friend who does some concrete work suggested it might just be thickness and drying time with the combination of mixing the product.

Thanks for all your help!

Greatly appreciated

Latest posts

Back