Do Not Buy From Build Direct!!!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he should go. It opens ones eyes even if you don't plan on doing inspections. But doing them allows you to see many mistakes other tradesmen are doing. Then you get to see how the claims process really works, the inside part no one likes to talk about. That really opens ones eyes!:eek:

E makes a good point , But there is no future in inspections for someone new starting out the way they are pumping them out .

Lee talked me into doing it. I could either kill him for it or kiss him. It's a double edged sword.:p

It is really about higher education. And getting that part of the higher education is harder to gain with just your regular run of the mill installers schools and seminars. They don't want to teach evreything to installers.

One could educate themselves on the confuser if you know where to look. But that can take many years of your spare time.

If you really want to know wood, go to some of Lee's classes. They are so good even the NWFA didn't like them. But that was when the NWFA was more manufacturer biased than they are now.

Agree with ya E . my point was if tommy was going to the NWFA class , or any others
to become a inspector , i wouldn't waste my money .

Sel did put a great class together . Notice NWFA had to get there hands in it also .

I think inspectors should talk with the consumer. And the installer. And the manufacturer. And anyone else involved. There are questions that only these parties can answer.

Manufacturer: Does your product have installation instructions? Are they sent with the product or do you just "hope" the consumer somehow gets this? If installation instructions were not provided with the product, does your product require special consideration?

Installer: Did you conduct a moisture test? Did you document the results? What has been used as an underlayment? You used rosin paper, right? (To which some installers will answer "yes", so now you know they didn't use the roofing felt that is now widely specified).

Consumer: When did the wood arrive? When did installation begin?

You get the idea. These are simple things you can determine with a few questions. It is not possible to determine if the wood was given adequate acclimation time just by looking at it. You must ask questions.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have the same issue. The hardwood floor even has milddew. They asked me to take picture. After I sent out the picture, they said they see no issue. If there is issue, it is the contractor issue.

This is really bad company. Avoid to buy any thing from this canadian company.

I am familiar with BuildDirect and do not believe writersbrother's story. BuildDirect takes customer service and support at least as seriously as Amazon does. As a result of this and the way it handles complaints like yours it carries the highest rating from the BC Better Business Bureau. Why not share your real agenda writers brother?

I am familiar with BuildDirect and do not believe writersbrother's story. BuildDirect takes customer service and support at least as seriously as Amazon does. As a result of this and the way it handles complaints like yours it carries the highest rating from the BC Better Business Bureau. Why not share your real agenda writers brother?

Kind of odd that someone would post once and only to defend a company that has had a myriad of complaints posted about it. Do you happen to work for them?

Kind of odd that someone would post once and only to defend a company that has had a myriad of complaints posted about it. Do you happen to work for them?

I'm thinking the same thing. I was considering buying flooring from builddirect until I saw this thread.

I have the same issue. The hardwood floor even has milddew. They asked me to take picture. After I sent out the picture, they said they see no issue. If there is issue, it is the contractor issue.

This is really bad company. Avoid to buy any thing from this canadian company.

Why was this person banned? just wondering if this is a valid claim or not.

Does anyone have any updates to this or if their product is still substandard?

What is my "real agenda?" I think it is pretty self-apparent. I spent over 10K on BuildDirect flooring that delaminated. BuildDirect sent an un-certified inspector who made no conclusion of the cause of the delamination. I had a certified, highly respected, certified court expert in wood flooring do an exhaustive examination of the flooring and he determined and wrote in his written report that the cause of the delamination was "manufacturing responsibility." BuildDirect refused to honor their 25 yr warranty. BuildDirect stated that the type of wood that I purchased (Santos Mahogany engineered wood flooring) could not be installed in Vegas (then why did they sell it to me and ship directly to Las Vegas?). Because of wide delamination, I had the BuildDirect flooring demolished, had to rennovate the subfloor, purchase ANOTHER manufacturers Santos Mahogany engineered wood flooring and have it installed costing me a grand total for this fiasco of approximately $50,000 when the original project was budgeted at $17,000. The replacement flooring remains beautiful to this day. I attempted to sue BuildDirect and discovered that BuildDirect is based in Canada. Therefore I tried to sue in Canada, and actually traveled to Vancouver Canada, where BuildDirect hides behind their website Terms of Use which states that if you purchase from them, you WAIVE your right to sue them in small claims court. Therefore the judge did NOT rule on the inspector's report, or photos, or any evidence whatsoever regarding the floor and ruled that BuildDirect's Terms of Use meant that I could not sue them, and that I MUST arbitrate using the arbitration firm that BuildDirect chooses (hmmm do you think that the arbitration firm has an incentive to favor their defacto employer?) So after that experience, I was and continue to be pissed off, and angry that a company such as BuildDirect can sell defective products, refuse to honor their warranty, and hide behind legal roadblocks. I am the type of person that attempts to fight back against unethical people and businesses and have been attempting to spread the word about this company to save other people from my experience. That is my agenda. I have included a photo of the demolished BuildDirect flooring to show you what a real BuildDirect floor looks like.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine that the person who defended them is their employee. I know that Lumber Liquidators has people who surf to defend their company against their myriad of complaints. It would not surprise me for Build Direct to do the same.

What is my "real agenda?" I think it is pretty self-apparent. I spent over 10K on BuildDirect flooring that delaminated. BuildDirect sent an un-certified inspector who made no conclusion of the cause of the delamination. I had a certified, highly respected, certified court expert in wood flooring do an exhaustive examination of the flooring and he determined and wrote in his written report that the cause of the delamination was "manufacturing responsibility." BuildDirect refused to honor their 25 yr warranty. BuildDirect stated that the type of wood that I purchased (Santos Mahogany engineered wood flooring) could not be installed in Vegas (then why did they sell it to me and ship directly to Las Vegas?). Because of wide delamination, I had the BuildDirect flooring demolished, had to rennovate the subfloor, purchase ANOTHER manufacturers Santos Mahogany engineered wood flooring and have it installed costing me a grand total for this fiasco of approximately $50,000 when the original project was budgeted at $17,000. The replacement flooring remains beautiful to this day. I attempted to sue BuildDirect and discovered that BuildDirect is based in Canada. Therefore I tried to sue in Canada, and actually traveled to Vancouver Canada, where BuildDirect hides behind their website Terms of Use which states that if you purchase from them, you WAIVE your right to sue them in small claims court. Therefore the judge did NOT rule on the inspector's report, or photos, or any evidence whatsoever regarding the floor and ruled that BuildDirect's Terms of Use meant that I could not sue them, and that I MUST arbitrate using the arbitration firm that BuildDirect chooses (hmmm do you think that the arbitration firm has an incentive to favor their defacto employer?) So after that experience, I was and continue to be pissed off, and angry that a company such as BuildDirect can sell defective products, refuse to honor their warranty, and hide behind legal roadblocks. I am the type of person that attempts to fight back against unethical people and businesses and have been attempting to spread the word about this company to save other people from my experience. That is my agenda. I have included a photo of the demolished BuildDirect flooring to show you what a real BuildDirect floor looks like.

Are you able to scan and post the experts report? Would be nice to read what he/she had to say about the product.

I just installed 1500 sq ft of northern canadian birch. The smallest water drop is causing extreme warping. Never seen this before with any flooring product. I'm looking into legal action. There should be a class action law suit against this company.

Latest posts

Back