door jamb and casing gap

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAjwoody

Professional
Pro
we removed 1/2" click hardwood and are going in with LVP. H.O. instaIlation so undercuts are random heights. I thought the owners were going to install new casing at the doors but they are not. I mentioned the height difference but failed to make sure they understood exactly what that would look like. I am looking for a solution to fill the gap at the jambs and casings. Casings are painted 2 1/4" colonial and they do not like the idea of plinth blocks as we would have to do the entire house. I could cut them higher, add material, fill, sand, and paint but I would like to find a less invasive solution to present first. I have my doubts as far as gluing in little pieces as I have never seen it look good. I know we have all run into this and I am interested to see what others have done. I have seen bondo on metal frames but never worked with the stuff myself. Thank you.

Bondo for the win. I’ve used it several times on wood casings. Protect the floor with some blue tape or masking paper, fill the jambs with bondo, sand it smooth then paint.

Bondo for the win. I’ve used it several times on wood casings. Protect the floor with some blue tape or masking paper, fill the jambs with bondo, sand it smooth then paint.
The person doing this also has to have the 'technique' abilities.
....ie: smooth upwards with the schmoo, so it contacts the underside of the casing fully
(as in good surface contact/bonding)
Once done, every edge needs perfect sanding to match the profile of the existing.
I'd have the patience. Would others?
Small slices of wood could also be carefully glued in place in the areas with the voids. You want to fit those as accurately as possible but you'd still end up adding some Bondo or equivalent.

Ive used what I believe is called Durand's wood putty?
Comes in a can with a muscle guy on it and mix with water.

Like said above, tape off the floor and stuff in in. Sand when dry and have the customer paint them.

Latest posts

Back