Door transition from floor to carpet question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajfanthony

Never done floor before. Have 2 questions. How big of a gap should i leave from the carpet, to the floor for one of those wood looking door transitions? Also would this panel work with having to cut a small triangle piece to finish it up right there since its only gonna be connected to a floor on 2 sides? i figure the door transition will hold it down. Afraid to pull that row back up to adjust the length of the first plank of floor cause if i ruin the other row, im screwed cause i have the toilet on top of the other row.
20221211_135519.jpg

Is the carpet already stretched and secured? If that’s the case and you don’t want to deal with pulling it back and restretching it you might be best off with a t-track type transition that covers both edges. Easiest but not the most durable. A better transition would have a flat edge that you install the carpet up to with tack strip. There are also transition strips that get secured directly to the floor with no track. Probably the most durable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOMELEG...rpet-Reducer-Molding-HL99CR/202927650#overlay
The triangle piece should hold but for a little extra security try a little wood glue on the tongue.

Attachments

• 4455EC5C-4483-4DF4-AF54-87E69D79BB79.jpeg
    4455EC5C-4483-4DF4-AF54-87E69D79BB79.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 68E15E96-6CB9-40EA-9A8A-4CD038E9B01F.jpeg
    68E15E96-6CB9-40EA-9A8A-4CD038E9B01F.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
By chance are you thinking of replacing the carpet? The one spot in the picture is telling me the pad is shot where the carpet is turned under. Too say the least I would lift the carpet and run your flooring right where it needs to be and have someone come in and resecure it. Would make for a nicer looking job.

The carpet was put in 6 months ago, had a transition strip there but it was metal and i took it out. i was gonna hire someone to do the door transition , i was just trying to see how far i should put the floor to the carpet that would work later for door transition. if that triangle piece would be a problem or if i would have to redo that row to eliminate the need to do the triangle piece

Is the carpet already stretched and secured? If that’s the case and you don’t want to deal with pulling it back and restretching it you might be best off with a t-track type transition that covers both edges. Easiest but not the most durable. A better transition would have a flat edge that you install the carpet up to with tack strip. There are also transition strips that get secured directly to the floor with no track. Probably the most durable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOMELEG...rpet-Reducer-Molding-HL99CR/202927650#overlay
The triangle piece should hold but for a little extra security try a little wood glue on the tongue.
If i bought that homelegend thing, do i need a track for that? i have a wood lookn thing just before the floor ends where carpet is tacked onto, would i just buy that homelegend thing and tuck carpet under that? should i back the floor back a little and leave a bigger gap? not sure how big of a gap people leave for floor and carpet transition

That particular transition doesn’t need a track. You can glue it right to the floor with construction adhesive.

The plank floor should fit under the flange on the transition strip with 1/4” allowed for expansion of the plank. It should be positioned right under the door. Make sure the height of the strip you select is correct to accommodate the thickness of your floor. There are about a bazillion variations of these transitions.

Determine the space between the carpet and the new plank by measuring the width of the base of the transition strip and then add the 1/4” for expansion. The carpet should be pulled up and stretched and tucked right up to to flat face of the transition strip after it’s installed but if the carpet is turned and tacked securely (hard to tell from the picture), and in the right place, you could feasibly butt the transition strip up to it and save the expense of someone coming in to fix it. If the carpet is just a raw edge then it’s best to pull it back and fix it after or use the track version that covers the edge of the carpet.

Last edited:
If i bought that homelegend thing, do i need a track for that? i have a wood lookn thing just before the floor ends where carpet is tacked onto, would i just buy that homelegend thing and tuck carpet under that? should i back the floor back a little and leave a bigger gap? not sure how big of a gap people leave for floor and carpet transition
No, you can’t tuck the carpet under that particular homelegend thing. And yes you need a bigger gap.

Latest posts

Back