DuChateau over concrete

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin great High. An occasional pop and snap is common untill the floor gets broken in.
Each time I paced the floor today, I intentionally walked directly on the seams, especially the joints. I got a couple more pops, but for the most part it's all quiet on the western front. ;)
I ran two beads of glue on a board last night before I left. I wanted to see what it was like when dry. I squirted out a good 1/8"+ bead about a foot long, one with Titebond II and one with the Taylor T&G glue. Today before I left, I checked em out. To my surprise, the Taylor glue was hard and almost brittle and the Titebond II was much more pliable............ so for now, aside from the color, I think I'd prefer the Titebond........... I'm a bit surprised. I figured it would be just the opposite. The Titebond side of the room had no snap, crackle or pop, but the Taylor glue did. :confused:
With the room finished, I'm getting down to that single stair now. I mocked up using a 2 by 4 frame, a way to make the step wider. I told the customer a wider step would be more comfortable to traverse than the way it is now. They liked the idea. I'm aiming at about 14 inches. It's currently closer to 10 inches.
They left for dinner as I was cleaning up for the day, and I popped open the tube with the stair nose molding and look what I found. Here's the nose installed on the existing hallway. Now look at the nose I pulled out of the shipping tube. Holy crap! It doesn't come remotely close in color to any board I've seen out or 33 boxes. I'm hoping the wrong color was ordered. What ever happens, I know this nose ain't gonna fly with the customer............. it sure don't fly with me.

Existing stair nose 750.jpg

New Stair nose 1 750.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Hi.
Thanks, Nick.... the customers both told me I should be doing this for a living. :D
I haven't done a wood floor like this in 20 years..... but they don't know that. :D
He's CEO of a large health care and doctors organization. They're building a 14,000 sq ft office and his wife told me that I'm doing the lobby............. it's wood like I've never seen before.............. scary wood ....very .....scary wood. I'll dig up a link.

Each time I paced the floor today, I intentionally walked directly on the seams, especially the joints. I got a couple more pops, but for the most part it's all quiet on the western front. ;)
I ran two beads of glue on a board last night before I left. I wanted to see what it was like when dry. I squirted out a good 1/8"+ bead about a foot long, one with Titebond II and one with the Taylor T&G glue. Today before I left, I checked em out. To my surprise, the Taylor glue was hard and almost brittle and the Titebond II was much more pliable............ so for now, aside from the color, I think I'd prefer the Titebond........... I'm a bit surprised. I figured it would be just the opposite. The Titebond side of the room had no snap, crackle or pop, but the Taylor glue did. :confused:
With the room finished, I'm getting down to that single stair now. I mocked up using a 2 by 4 frame, a way to make the step wider. I told the customer a wider step would be more comfortable to traverse than the way it is now. They liked the idea. I'm aiming at about 14 inches. It's currently closer to 10 inches.
They left for dinner as I was cleaning up for the day, and I popped open the tube with the stair nose molding and look what I found. Here's the nose installed on the existing hallway. Now look at the nose I pulled out of the shipping tube. Holy crap! It doesn't come remotely close in color to any board I've seen out or 33 boxes. I'm hoping the wrong color was ordered. What ever happens, I know this nose ain't gonna fly with the customer............. it sure don't fly with me.

I'v sent a few back for the same reason Hi.

Gotta always check those tubes o f moldings straight away when the shipment lands. Seen them throw justa about any molding they have on hand to fulfill an order and even broken ones.

Gotta always check those tubes o f moldings straight away when the shipment lands. Seen them throw justa about any molding they have on hand to fulfill an order and even broken ones.
You'd kinda think the retailer ought to be doing that as soon as the receive it. Not my department. ...........well, I guess it is now. :D
From the wood installation that was completed before I got there, there ought to be the rest of that original nose I showed in the first image. I think they are 8 footers and there should have been enough for both steps. I know that there's another tube in the garage of this house. I'll check for it this afternoon. That would be a major time saver.

Figgered out how to make the stair extension. It came out sweet if I do say so myself. :D
It's not fastened to the concrete floor but it rests on the floor. It's fastened to the stair stringers with five 3 1/2 inch deck screws and onto the the riser face with Chemrex polyurethane adhesive. 'taint goin' nowhere any time soon.:D
The center of the extension is 3 boards wide to enable me to put 4 screws at angles through the riser and into the center stringer. If it was just a single board, you couldn't angle the screws to hit the stringer.
The sides were done different. I drilled a 1/2" hole with a Forstner bit about 1/2 the depth of the 2X4 so that a 3" screw would make it straight through the riser and into each of the side stringers. I also angled one screw on each side downward into the wall plate.
The top of the stair extension is made up of 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood instead of a 2X4 like I originally planned.
Being that the stair nose that was sent is so bad in color, I mocked up what I wanted to do with a 3 1/2 inch strip of the flooring to act as the nose piece and dropped some 10 inch temporary wood pieces in place so the customer could see what I was describing. They like the look with the wood laying this direction, and the size of the step, so all we need now is a better colored piece of nose. It will end up about 14 inches deep. It's a very comfortable size for this particular application.

2 layers supported 750.jpg

Center screwed 750.jpg

Left screwed n glued 750.jpg

Stair extension competed 700.jpg

Stare cat 700.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the other wood floor I have coming up in September.
http://www.usfloorsllc.com/product-category/natural-oiled-hardwood/castle-combe-grande/
10 1/4 inches wide and 9' 2" feet long and 13/16" thick. I hope there aren't 10 boards per carton.:eek:
Instructions says you need a chalk line, tape measure and a tapping block.:D
7013BP902_S-1024x757.jpg

I've got a 10" engineered solid white oak coming in and a 5" engineered walnut from WD http://wdflooring.com/ on order. What do you wanna bet they land at the same time? they are both around 1,000 sf.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back