Duck tape trick

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
When your duck tape doesn’t stick to the pad seams, add some heat 👍

Attachments

• 2EC63B22-E4CF-4459-8EBB-9B2D2F25A3A2.jpeg
    2EC63B22-E4CF-4459-8EBB-9B2D2F25A3A2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 5CAB960D-8723-4E15-9B86-6764AFAE72E2.jpeg
    5CAB960D-8723-4E15-9B86-6764AFAE72E2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oh gosh, that makes a piece worker just cringe! lol.

We used to put some multi purpose in a coffee can, turn it upside down and run it along the seams and perimeters. A gallon bucket for bigger jobs. Quick and easy. Cheaper than pad glue.

MSLI
You know you aren't susposed to use duck tape on pad seams don't you? It doesn't let the pad breath and could give you humps in the floor. That is why the edge of steps are taped.
O-Boy ! Possible Situation 😳🤔

I think we had this discussion on TFP Daris and I guess I’m still ignoring or still contemplating 😜 that recommendation.

In my defense, I can’t recall seeing any duck tape pad humps at all since 2003 when I took over these 3 apartments, and that’s a lot of replacements.

I’m still running into a few units ever year where pad, or multi-purpose adhesive was used, mostly incorrectly 😡 ……The none breathing duck tapped pad seams logic makes sense, but I believe the risk is minimal. Maybe we could run a porcupine roller over the tape ?

The alternative fastening methods over concrete using adhesives, be it mpa, spray glue, or pad adhesive , imho only make the install smelly and the replacement more laborious 😥 However ! It has it’s place, just not holding down 1/2” 5 lb pad for apartments. Imho

However ! It has it’s place, just not holding down 1/2” 5 lb pad for apartments. Imho

Gotta agree with that. I’ve used paper tape (it was called pad tape at the supply house) in situations where rapid replacement was imminent… Stuck but crinkled when you walked on it…lol

You lost me on the negative’s of using duct tape. Aside from cost it’s just tape. The pad itself breathes and if it sticks to the pad then there’s no wrinkling. Moisture barrier pads actually spec duct tape because it seals the pad seams.

Oh gosh, that makes a piece worker just cringe! lol.

We used to put some multi purpose in a coffee can, turn it upside down and run it along the seams and perimeters. A gallon bucket for bigger jobs. Quick and easy. Cheaper than pad glue.
Won't work on haydite floors. Glue won't stick. Pad glue won't work either.

Oh… Not sure I’ve ever seen a haydite floor? Seen plenty of gypcrete… Remember it wouldn’t hold a nail worth a darn.
Same thing. It originally was called haydite. It had a guaranteed life span of no more than 40 years. It was never intended to be used for floors. They tried making building blocks out of it in the beginning, but dirt dissolves it. They had a plant making it here in the 60s. We have a couple apt. buildings where they used it for floors in the 60s, You can sweep a hole through them. If you use a long enough nail, you can nail through it. These have a 3/4 inch plywood sheeting under the haydite.

You lost me on the negative’s of using duct tape. Aside from cost it’s just tape. The pad itself breathes and if it sticks to the pad then there’s no wrinkling. Moisture barrier pads actually spec duct tape because it seals the pad seams.
Moisture pads are aa whole different breed from regular old rebond. I've tore up many of jobs where every pad seam showed when there was duck tape on it. It has a non breathable sufrace on it. Those jobs I tore up were mostly on concrete, but basically the pad under the tape was just like brand new and beside it it was flattened out to an extent.

Moisture pads are aa whole different breed from regular old rebond. I've tore up many of jobs where every pad seam showed when there was duck tape on it. It has a non breathable sufrace on it. Those jobs I tore up were mostly on concrete, but basically the pad under the tape was just like brand new and beside it it was flattened out to an extent.

Interesting. I wonder if it was something with the duct tape or what. I recall a job issue I had to inspect with moisture proof pad that was making noise as the customer walked on the taped seam. Pulled the carpet back and it was duct tape making the noise. Funny thing was that it was only a couple seams in the entire house. Did someone get a bum roll of tape?

Just inspected an apartment for cat pee. It’s scheduled for next week. Found some piss, pulled cpt + pad and treated with enzyme.

Here’s a photo of the old pad ( 2018 ) with a duck taped seam. Rubbed my hand over it, and found no humps ( this time) I’ll be on the look out for the remainder of jobs left in me 😡 and report back.

I do recall seeing pad humps under thermoplastic seam tape back in the day.

PS> photo 2 and 3 show some type of pad adhesive that almost broke my wrist off my harm while hand scraping 😜😡 ( not necessary! )

Attachments

• DDD1EF20-62DB-4190-84AD-293010F379E0.jpeg
    DDD1EF20-62DB-4190-84AD-293010F379E0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 4C9C86DE-183C-4DEB-9C04-085A3FBAE05F.jpeg
    4C9C86DE-183C-4DEB-9C04-085A3FBAE05F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • D8564F1F-E5B0-4E8F-B048-6D7BFAC59A9A.jpeg
    D8564F1F-E5B0-4E8F-B048-6D7BFAC59A9A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
MSLI
You know you aren't susposed to use duck tape on pad seams don't you? It doesn't let the pad breath and could give you humps in the floor. That is why the edge of steps are taped.

Most of the pad we stock literally says to duct tape the seams and staple/glue your perimeter on the bags it comes in. Especially the stain guard types of pad.

I probably wouldn't waste my time taping the seams on cheap rebond pad. Can't really think of a reason other than looking out for the next man and not leaving a million staples for him....... But to be fair, nobody does that for me?

Interesting. I wonder if it was something with the duct tape or what. I recall a job issue I had to inspect with moisture proof pad that was making noise as the customer walked on the taped seam. Pulled the carpet back and it was duct tape making the noise. Funny thing was that it was only a couple seams in the entire house. Did someone get a bum roll of tape?

I've seen that happen when some knuckle head decides to staple and tape the seams. The tape makes contact in the staple dimple's and releases when walked on making a pop sound.

some knuckle head decides to staple and tape the seams
I was that knucklehead 😳 at the age of 20, however ! I also folded back and snaked myself under the carpet to remove that tape, never ever to do that again.

I probably wouldn't waste my time taping the seams on cheap rebond pad. Can't really think of a reason other than looking out for the next man and not leaving a million staples for him....... But to be fair, nobody does that for me?
I’m the next man ! With this apartment work however,
I would do that for you and even go one step further…..… Duck tape pad seams and duck tape 60% of the perimeter. Now you only need 1/2 the amount of staples because of the extra stability the duck tape provides. See how there are only 5 or six staples holding down the stair pad and the Same procedure can be done in rooms. Just make sure the tape goes first, then the staple. 😄 ….. I’m very observant with all procedures, and I want everyone of them to have purpose. So ! When I staple padding along a power wall every 4” and the pad still remains loose enough to move up onto the tackless 🥵 I break out the duck tape, stretch, and staple every 12” to 16” 😃 Now you have major purpose with a strong hold using less staples.

Attachments

• 5B117C0A-914A-43B1-9497-28574DA43C0E.jpeg
    5B117C0A-914A-43B1-9497-28574DA43C0E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I've seen that happen when some knuckle head decides to staple and tape the seams. The tape makes contact in the staple dimple's and releases when walked on making a pop sound.

I think everybody has done that once.🙄 The spill guard pad we used had a slight waffle pattern to it and I saw the same thing happen with the noise but only one time and not throughout the entire job which makes me wonder if it is/ was the duct tape itself. Who knows, maybe somebody bought a cheap roll from somewhere. Does that stuff degrade or expire?

As far as Daris’s experience, was the formulation of duct tape adhesive different when he experienced it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I've done it myself.
I learned the hard way by having to pull back what I did to remove the tape.

I'm not fortunate enough to be able to snake myself under the carpet to remove the tape. Lol I'm a little too big for that being 6' 6" and 275#'s 😂

Latest posts

Back