Echo/sound deadening

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I'm heading over to measure an interview room at a kid's care center near the hospital. The lady I talked to is looking for carpeting to help with sound deadening and echo control.
Not sure if that includes sound transmission through a wall or if the size and shape of the room is most of the issue.
Does pad choice have any affect?
I'll report back after I see the room.
Just throwing it out for now.

Are there any pictures on the walls? They reflect sound to the floor. You can have a room that echoes and pictures stop that. or even hang banners and such from the ceiling.
I was kind of surprised when I got there and looked at the room at his widest points it's 11 ft 7" by 7 ft 2" 😱
This is a center to help abused children. I think it's about 10 years old.
When I took the measurements into the shop and told the owner the dimensions, she told me that when that place was built they donated the carpet to it because the purpose of the building, helping abused children, seemed like a very good cause. That was quite a chunk of change to donate all the floor covering in that building. The owners haven't been very generous with the community over the years.
The hospital owns building but it's not part of the actual hospital building.
Anyway in this tiny room they have 10" beveled edged white felt like things stuck on the wall every foot and a half or so around the perimeter. Obviously for sound deadening. There is a 2 ft by 4 ft light fixture in the center of the room that hangs down about 4 in.
Opposite the entry door is a window and that has a fabric pull-down fabric shade on it.
It currently has a hollow core oak door with a 4-in by 16 inch window in it.
To keep down hallway noise I think they're replacing it with a solid core door.
On the left hand side of this drawing is a wall that adjoins the bathroom. Faucet and toilet sounds can be heard in this small room, and that being the case, conversation can be listened to in this room. I think it's a room where the kids talk with the associates at the Care center so it needs to be quiet so the kids are comfortable and not distracted.
I just watch the video of a fella doing sound control. One of the best bangs for the buck is one or two layers of 5/8 fire approved sheetrock. That along with the carpeting and the door would do wonders for that room I'm sure.

Attachments

• PXL_20220923_220125022.jpg
    PXL_20220923_220125022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Here's more. To the left of the room is a bathroom.
Doing some research, adding a second wall with one or two layers of 5/8 sheetrock should do it.
I'm talking the wall area marked 6' 9". No more flushing sounds.

Attachments

• PXL_20220923_220125022~4.jpg
    PXL_20220923_220125022~4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back