Eliminating subfloor squeaks for good

Discussion in 'General Flooring Discussion' started by Joe, Apr 23, 2019.

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating:

1. Apr 23, 2019 #1

Joe

Joe

Joe

We have a 26 year old Burnstead house in the Pacific Northwest. The floors were a bit squeaky when we bought the house 5 years ago. The squeaking has increased quite bit in the years since we bought the house. Pretty much the entire second floor has squeaks. We are hoping to fix the squeaky subfloors when we pull out the the old carpet, before putting in a new carpet.

The solution advised on the Internet seems to be putting in screws about 12 inches apart to properly fasten the subfloor boards to the joists. Does that sound like the right and complete solution?

- Should the screws be closer together than being 12 inch apart?
    - Should we be using any other material in addition to the screws, for example, injecting liquid nails / glue? I am not sure if glue was used when the subfloors were originally installed.
    - Subfloor appear to be 1/2 or 3/4 inches thick plywood. Should I consider adding another layer of subfloor to make sturdier while screwing it down?
    - Will the squeaks go away after using screws or will they eventually come back - how soon?

2. Apr 25, 2019 #2

Nick

Nick

Nick

In Remembrance

download.jpg Screws will only destroy your floors ..

3. Apr 25, 2019 #3

Joe

Joe

Joe

Nick, thanks. Could you elaborate? I meant screwing down subfloors not floors.

4. Apr 25, 2019 #4

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

I would do another layer of plywood or OSB if your just doing carpet. I think Nick thought you wanted to screw down an old hardwood floor. Screws are best, buy a screw gun and go at it.

5. Apr 26, 2019 #5

Nick

Nick

Nick

In Remembrance

That's what i thought ..

6. May 24, 2019 #6

DaveO

DaveO

DaveO

Good old talcum powder,
    Cover area brush over tap floor with hammer or your feet getting the powder into the wood and Wait a few days as you walk back n forth most times it works it’s worth a go n so cheap talcum powder £1 pound shop lol

7. May 24, 2019 #7

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

A lady had my grandfather spread flour on the floor for that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Original poster had subfloor squeaks, not wood flooring. But for that, talcum powder would certainly be better then flour. :D
    Thanks for contributing DaveO.