Eliminating the dreaded Trapped yarns in direct glue down plush

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Yo Rug Dogs šŸ•, what do you do, or have you done to eliminate this.

Attachments

• 8BFAD5DE-6CF7-42BC-9F24-99D6679238E9.jpeg
    8BFAD5DE-6CF7-42BC-9F24-99D6679238E9.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 67
Are you sure they are trapped yarns? without getting on my hands a knees there, I would say according to the picture you have ledging, or slight gap. But if it trapping of the yarns as you make the seam just before you move the iron ahead rub the yarn back away from the seam line. Another thing that could be done is tape the yarn back with painters tape, the blue stuff or the one for wall paper so as to not put yarn out when you remove it. Makes for a tough job to roll the seam though.

Thatā€™s a photo on the cutting machine. Even throw itā€™s a residential plush, sheā€™ going direct glue method. Back in the day I would spend the time brushing the yarns back and then ride the fill piece appx. 1/2ā€ over, then feed the carpet in carefully. Iā€™m just curious of other methods. Thanks Daris for the painters tape idea, Iā€™ll pass it on.

The painters tape works, but it's slow to put on. You just want it to grab the tips of the yarn. Don't put it way deep into the pile.
I wouldn't let it ride 1/2" over.

...asking for a friend. šŸ˜
Yep ! Iā€™m not installing this job, and hot seam, then glue is a good idea, but time consuming. I believe they still make that peel away seam tape...... The reason for the 1/2ā€ full method is that you can fold the entire fill piece into the glue and rest the seam edge on top. Then, starting at one end, one hand under the backing. And one hand on top, you manipulate it back 1/2ā€ short, marking a wrinkle, then feed it up against the other edge. I use to literally run down a loop pile seam in seconds, then tool tray the wrinkles out. That was young 20 something MSli, not anymore šŸ˜¢ ..... Thanks for tweaking Darisā€™s suggestion LO High šŸ˜œ

WhenI worked with my brother doing commercial work and let's say a room had two 12 ft pieces and one seam. With a patterned carpet you would trim the seam and have the two pieces laying in place. you can glue one whole side of the room leaving 2 ft along the seam unglued. You could then bump the second piece of the carpet over so the patterned is is aligned the seam edges fit snugly. Then glue the second piece of carpet in, again leaving at 2 ft dry zone. When you lay the second piece into the adhesive you can use your kicker over in the dry zone to bump your second piece and align the seam making it fit 1/8 of an inch tight.
Now, both halves are glued down and the seam is lined up. Now you're concentration is on the seam itself and not folding pieces back and forth in the wet glue and making the seam all in one shot.
All they can hope for is a seam rows are straight, not wavy and crooked like some are. That is one job I wouldn't be doing.

I had an old flat iron I used for this years ago, worked great once upon a time not all irons were grooved , not all tape had grooves , and not all tape was silicone treated .
That being said I roll up or manipulate fill with two people and place the precut piece in place in one fell swoop placing the backing edges together , taking special care not to let face material touch glue

Latest posts

Back