Engineered Flooring warrantees are Scams

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have posted on my experience with my newly installed engineered flooring delaminating in dozens of locations. I have had the opportunity to do loads of research and have come to the conclusion that manufacturers that exclude structural warranty claims based on maintaining the flooring at humidity levels of 35-65% are scams.

Why is this humidity level requirement a scam? First note that the manufacturers that have this exclusion frequently state that these levels must be MAINTAINED. In other words, if they find during an inspection or documented at ANY time that the relative humidity in your home was either above or below this level, then they can claim that your warranty claim is voided. So if there is a SINGLE measurement of humidity in your home that is below or above the level they specify in their warranty, they can void your warranty.

Secondly, doing a search for humidity levels in the United States,

www.cityrating.com/relativehumidity.asp

you find that MAINTAINING a relative humidity level at all times between 35-65% is virtually impossible. That is because as seen in this link, the average humidity levels in 127 out of 128 cities fall outside the 35-65% required levels. Since this site lists the AVERAGE humidity, even the one city where the AVERAGE levels are within the 35-65% range, there is a virtual certainty, that there are periods when the humidity falls outside of the required levels stipulated in the warranty. Even if you own a home with a humidifier, or dehumidifier, your home will of course tend to drift toward the outside levels at some times.

Therefore having this 35-65% humidity warranty exclusion provides manufacturers an "out" to avoid honoring their warranty in many many claims even when the claim involves poor manufacturing. It allows the manufacturer to void a warranty on a product that is inferior, and does not meet the current manufacturing standards (ANSI/HPVA EF 2009) which outline tests to prove structural integrity (three soak test). At the same time, many manufactuers claim the engineering superiority of engineered flooring to resist structural changes, and to be a perfect choice for extreme climates, and for installation in non-environmentally controlled homes. This is deceptive and once again reflects the ongoing scam in the engineered flooring marketplace.

Yup, but there are manufacturers who have lifetime structural warranties. However they still let you know the finish and wood may check and split. And remember that site you provided is exterior relative humidity. Interior is usually more due to cooking, showering, and so on.

I've seen several jump on the advertising band wagon where they clain their wood is manufacturered to the ANSI/HPVA EF 2009 standard.

Even if my clients do purchase one of those products I still try and get them to buy a humidifier. Course not many retailers will. I have one in my house and it never gets below 30rh, even when the exterior rh is 9% outside. I think having 2 boys that take 20 minute showers helps. :)

Last edited:
I am all new to this so just want to ask for little help as you said that some suppliers say that their wood is of ANSI/HPVA EF 2009 standard but how to cross check it?

They should say so in any literature. Make sure it is in writing. I have seen quite a few popping up lately. Just read one on Owens site yesterday.

Latest posts

Back