Engineered measure....

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcfc

Professional
Pro
So a couple days ago I measured a job for the company I have been taking contracts for. A lakeside cabin in my area. Upon entering the structure I noticed that the exposed original lumber was rough hewn dimensional lumber from god knows when. Modern nails were exposed but the structure was essentially 2x4 joists 16" on center with non lapped random width (boggle) 1" thick subfloor planks. The entire site was so loose that you could almost bounce across it. They asked if I would level the floor with self leveler after they added 1/2" of non t@g plywood over this mess and staple down the flooring over it. Their efforts to jack it up and kneewall and support this structure left it with vertical drops of almost 3/4" in less that 8 feet in areas.

When I told the general point blank that the best thing to do was rip it all out and create a new joist and proper 3/4" subfloor system or properly reinforce it with appropriate sheeting was met with 'the owner is a tightwad', i informed my store that they should walk away.

Then I looked up.

They had actually cut out and removed from the header 80% of the support that had originally carried the load for the second story addition. The second story tie in showed a 1" drop in 4 ft to the end of the tie in.

I told the store to run away. Yet I fear for the money they will still do something stupid.

*sigh*

Latest posts

Back