Engineered Tigerwood install

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Crain 825 and use this blade. Cuts through anything.

I believe that to be true. I used it to cut this block. That's two cuts, top and bottom.

Crain-825.jpg

I'm like ken also, I hate (H), regarding working exotic flooring, march I'm staring 4000sq of wenge

Depending on material some installers arent comfortable just butting the wood to the tile given the expectations of the manufacturers for expansion. I dont necessarily like it but sometimes depending on species you gotta do it.

It looks more like an H H to me, though I don't find one or two objectionable. There might be a joint a little too close in the bedroom but the subfloor is the installer's canvas and I don't find one or two borderline staggers objectionable. I do find that speed bump objectionable but that's just me.

Hey, are you guys talking about my pictures? lol

There could be a H in there or two. But depending on the lengths, one two in a room isin't a huge deal to me either. Besides I had a partner on that job. can't watch a guy from the next room.

Speed bumps are often a necessity if the tile is lower than the wood and the direction of the wood is running into the tile. Those cut ends are dangerous even if you sand them down, can match the stain...you can pull a big splinter.

Even doing a forty five on those things can be dangerous if the T-cap is slightly bowed or pops loose you got a spike sticking up. On a wood substrate it's easier to shoot them down and not worry about it.

Just admiring your handy work. I recently had one of my helpers lay four H's in a row. I made him rip it out. Thank god it was only three rows but I just couldn't let it pass. I did just do a mannington engineered that only had three different sized planks. It was nearly impossible not to get afew in there. I felt like I was being punked, lol.

I like to use a header strip and shave the bottom to achieve a gradual slope, then I use a backer rod and grout caulk. It looks very professional.

I like to use a header strip and shave the bottom to achieve a gradual slope, then I use a backer rod and grout caulk. It looks very professional.

Sounds great. If I was getting paid for it I would. When I bid that job I was lucky to get paid to install the T-cap.

Pics also can be decieving, H's could be offset a ways. I dont see one anyways. :p

Last edited:
I use the front and left side of the saw and got between 5/8" to 7/8" reveal. The hose wasn't stationary either as it was fastened with electrical tape so it moved easily.

I really didn't want to cut any deeper as it is hollow block and they are supporting walls. I was concerned about integrity and who knows what inside the block, probably unjustly but wanted to err on the side of caution. I beveled all my wall cuts on a 45 as well and just buried an absolute minimum as a precautionary measure.

I confidently rationalized that I undercut drywall all the time and that's only half an inch reveal.

I think it finished off quite nicely.

1-IMG_1063.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great. If I was getting paid for it I would. When I bid that job I was lucky to get paid to install the T-cap.

Agreed...though I just ordered two hickory hardwood reducers and they were $86 each and only 2 meters long. That's over $13 lf, it only costs a little more for me to make a custom transition and less if you figure the labor cost savings to install the t-mold ($5 ft.).

I use the front and left side of the saw and got between 5/8" to 7/8" reveal. The hose wasn't stationary either as it was fastened with electrical tape so it moved easily.

I really didn't want to cut any deeper as it is hollow block and they are supporting walls. I was concerned about integrity and who knows what inside the block, probably unjustly but wanted to err on the side of caution. I beveled all my wall cuts on a 45 as well and just buried an absolute minimum as a precautionary measure.

I confidently rationalized that I undercut drywall all the time and that's only half an inch reveal.

I think it finished off quite nicely.

1-IMG_1063.jpg

That it did. But it looks like it is begging for a nice base board. I hate those walls.

Latest posts

Back