Epoxy cracks in shower tile?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
The tile in a rarely used main bathroom shower has two cracked tiles from minor settlement over about 11 years. Can't remember 3" tiles? Can't find tile to match and the cracks are way too small for grout. Tiles are white to off white. How about filling them with some white epoxy? The kind used for porcelain tub and sink repairs. Cracks are probably less than 1/32"
The grout shown in blue needs to be dug out and replaced also because it to has that same hairline movement.
The floor to wall joint needs to be redone also. Grout caulk or grout at this intersection......... this shower gets used just a few times per year by guests and family when they visit.
My 'photo' here is from memory. :D

Cracked tile.jpg

Last edited:
Redo pan. Cracks can leak into and througj substrate below causing extensive damage below if its over wood.

Redo pan. Cracks can leak into and througj substrate below causing extensive damage below if its over wood.

If the floor tile has a 1/64" crack in it, you are implying that the rubber membrane got cracked too?
The shower gets used 5 days a year. You sound like a car mechanic that wants to rebuild an engine because a spark plug has a crack in it. :D
If you redo the pan, doesn't that mean ripping out the wall tiles too?
........I mean that's the order of the overlapping waterproof membrane seal system. Wall membrane overlaps the pan liner, right?

Might not even have one. :D
No installer in this area even knows about roll on. This is an architects home and the general that supervised the work is top notch. The architect is top notch too. Trust me......... it ain't Redgard.
.....but I'll ask him what the pan or pan liner is. It's the bottom floor of the home. If it leaks, it drips down into the forest below the house. :eek: Hey, I said it was an architects home. ;)

Last edited:
Well stress fractures come from the substrate so I think you should crawl under there and look.:)

I forgot to get back on this.
The epoxy repair went perfectly, pretty much invisible from a standing position. I had a paint store mix a tiny unit of colorant that matched the tile and added a minuscule amount of that colorant to tint the white epoxy. I dug/ground out the old grout first, then did the epoxy repair and regrouted 2 days later. The epoxy was a slow set type.
Customer is super duper happy. Me too. :D

Latest posts

Back