Existing Flooring Identification

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMT387

Hello,

A friend is having an issue with their landlord trying to claim a floor is damaged as a result of vacuuming and the landlord is trying to keep the entire $1600 security deposit. Landlord claims floor was installed 3 years ago, it appears to be older based on curling of the squares and cracking. I say it’s wear and tear that shouldn’t be taking the security deposit but obviously landlord wants to keep the deposit. Can someone help me identify the flooring, at least what the pattern is called. They can replace the few chipped squares if possible to avoid a nasty fight with the landlord. Pictures attached, they are 12x12

Attachments

• 2BD27448-7EC2-45A7-BE85-D5E5F6FED71C.jpeg
    2BD27448-7EC2-45A7-BE85-D5E5F6FED71C.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 311A52AD-89BF-4168-B3B6-BBCB644B798D.jpeg
    311A52AD-89BF-4168-B3B6-BBCB644B798D.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 51
  • ADAABDA6-1089-433E-9CFE-B9022A569B4B.jpeg
    ADAABDA6-1089-433E-9CFE-B9022A569B4B.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 057B708B-BAC3-48C9-9DDB-0F2A7E3A9DBC.jpeg
    057B708B-BAC3-48C9-9DDB-0F2A7E3A9DBC.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 57
Looks like some peel n stick flooring from HD or Lowes. It’s not the best floor in the first place which is why it’s blowing up after only 3 years.

Here’s a link to the flooring even though this link is for a grey color. You get the idea though. Do some looking around and you might be able to just replace a few here n there and get your deposit back.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic...k-Vinyl-Tile-30-sq-ft-case-A4265051/206963840

That peek and stick only sticks well, to a very clean foor, like new underlayment.
I can’t tell if that’s old sheet vinyl under the tile.
It looks rough and filthy under the tiles. If the tiles are $1/ sq. ft, how many sq. ft. Is the affected area? I would guess the landlord installed the tile over a shit floor.

Cheapo peel and stick for sure.

Your friends land lord sounds like a typical slum Lord. Anyone trying to scam someone out of $1600 for a couple dollars worth of the cheapest floor covering on earth is a dirt bag. I'm willing to bet he has a pile of those tile stashed somewhere that can easily replace the couple damaged tile.

That peek and stick only sticks well, to a very clean foor, like new underlayment.
I can’t tell if that’s old sheet vinyl under the tile.
It looks rough and filthy under the tiles. If the tiles are $1/ sq. ft, how many sq. ft. Is the affected area? I would guess the landlord installed the tile over a shit floor.
I've only ever installed those peelnstick over clear thin spread flat troweled on. Good luck getting those off. The couple or three you see a defect or misplacement/twist after the fact usually get left down there. Even with the torch it's almost impossible to get it off the clear thin spread.

I've only ever installed those peelnstick over clear thin spread flat troweled on. Good luck getting those off. The couple or three you see a defect or misplacement/twist after the fact usually get left down there. Even with the torch it's almost impossible to get it off the clear thin spread.
That is the way I installed them and no warranty.

Looks like the landlord paid $0.15 per tile and paid the gardener to install it. Cheap flooring an poor installation cause that, or my name's not highup. 🫣

Latest posts

Back