Extremely dissatisfied with the hardwood refinishing job- help!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollerusc

I recently had my hardwood floors restained a much darker color. I like the color and the finish, but I'm looking at the details of this job and cannot I believe I paid for this! I'm trying to decide if I have unreal expectations, or if these issues justify him coming back to resand/ etc....and concerned that fixing these issues is even possible! Any suggestions, input, etc is greatly appreciated. First issue, there are many marks on the floor where it looks like he was too aggressive with the orbital sander. Second issue, there are at least a dozen areas where it looks as if he turned on the belt sander and left it in one spot, so there are divots in the floor. Third, there are two areas where the color is inconsistent (light/ dark patch.) And last, there are several (3 or 4) areas that are quite rough...either air bubbles or improper cleanup after sanding (and some spots where I see strands of hair trapped in the finish.) What is a realistic expectation for a refinish/ restain and what should I insist he fix?? This is an area of about 600 sq feet. Should I be concerned this will be an issue if I am trying to sell my house?! Thanks very much.

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 2.10.03 AM.jpg

I have him fix everything . That is one bad sanding job.

If he doesn't fix it , Hire a Independent flooring inspector and take him to court.

We have a few on the site . Just let us know where you are so we can tell if we have one in your area .

those gouges sure look like they came from a drum sander-----lesson one for a drum sander is to only raise or lower the drum while the sander is in motion-------------failure to follow lesson one results in marks that sure look like the ones you got----no there is no quicky fix for this---redo the whole shebang----sorry to be the one to tell you

The drum should be feathered down, and up while moving .

Have to agree with Rug , They are drum marks.

I pointed the issues out to him, he agreed and said they weren't visible before the stain was applied. He tried to repair today by using wood filler??!?! Arg. He assured me the areas (which now are much darker with the stain) will be sanded out and the color will be consistent. The divots are now bumps. Groan. I'm in northern Virginia.image.jpg

Latest posts

Back