Face nailing solid hardwood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
I'm looking for a better way to fasten starter / ending rows.
I usually use my Paslode 15 gauge angled finish nailer. I try to blind nail as far as I can, and then top nail the last row.
Often I have to crank the last couple boards tight with my jack and sometimes the finish nails don't hold good and the last row wants to open.

I saw on a job I ripped up the installer used a face nailer (cleat) and they held really well. I found this one.
View attachment ImageUploadedByFlooring Forum1462490957.683237.jpg

Next question I have always used staples with solid hardwood, and have heard not to mix staples and cleats. Would this be ok to use staples with face cleats in the last row?

Anyone ever use this tool?
Looks pretty cool for getting closer to the wall but you can only put one staple in the tool at a time
View attachment ImageUploadedByFlooring Forum1462491530.762946.jpg

This is cool too but doesn't seem to be worth $90 View attachment ImageUploadedByFlooring Forum1462491624.690740.jpg

As the Donald would say; Thats a HUGE difference. The price of the first two, forget the last one. I wonder which one would get closest to the wall.

I have had a couple issues with doing board replacements with the kool glide tape.
The thickness of the tape would make the repair piece sit higher.
Also I used it on an engineered floor where I had to reverse directions.
Overtime a section of the area with the tape popped up.
I'm not sold on the utility tape.

The last pic is a staple set tool.
For when you strike the gun like Sally Struthers and the staple sticks up a bit .
I use a nail set to tap the staples the rest of the way.
I just thought this tool would be nice because the staple crown fits snug in the end if the tool .
I would think $40-$50 would be a fair price for this not $90

Hey Don, glad you commented on the utility tape. Every time I go do a plank repair I'm tempted to try that out.
Have you used it on laminate repairs and if so how well does it stick?

I agree if your doing a board replacement it can cause the board to be a little higher.it is a floating floor you slide it under both pieces and your good to go. I have had good luck with it holding. To keep from top nailing I will glue the last two rows.

Latest posts

Back