Facing a big dilemma -cover the existing steps in hardwood or buy new steps install them over the existing ones and match the stain ?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Turbinca

I have three steps 44" wide (9.85sqft) and eleven steps 33" wide (27sqft) , all steps are standard depth 10 3/4"
So roughly 40sqft in total
Cost of the hardwood is 10CAD/sqft -it comes in boxes that cover 22 sqft so 220CAD for a box

Here are the details for the two options:
-install hardwood over existing steps
need to build my own bullnose piece which means I need to find 11 boards that are 33" long and 3 boards that are 44in each in two
theoretically I would need more than 2 boxes to find the pieces that I need for nosing
-install new steps over (as the hardwood already raised the upper end of the stairs with 3/4") but one step is around 130CAD so that would be 14x130=1560CAD

How can I guess how many boxes of hardwood floor I need to find my 11x33" and 3x44" boards ?
The rest of the hardwood was installed in the house so I missed that boat :-(

not a again, I have reached the point to pull the trigger and I realized that coating the threads with existing hardwood is not going to work as exepcted due to the weird board distribution in the boxes. I would say that I probably need like close to 5 boxes to find the wood I need for nosing (3 pieces per box ?)

Latest posts

Back