finding a row vs. straight edge

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z-Carpet

describe your methods for finding a row,

then describe your method for straight edge and in WHAT situations or carpets you would straight edge

having a hard time lately making my seams look good and not jumping rows

Depends on the carpet. Most times just a row finder. On commercial I use a comb.I have a whole assortment of row finders from the commercial ones to knitting needles of different sizes. Sometimes if you bend the carpet over a tube it will open up the rows enough to use a row finder. Sometimes I just follow the row with my knife and by feel.
I don't think I have straight edged one in years.

Daris

I use a decent sized knitting needle. It's wide enough that it pushes the row apart. once the row is opened up, go down it again, right before you row cut. There are some super soft cut pile carpets on the market these days and the yarns are so floppy and they can make it hard to follow a row.
If you can part the rows enough that you can get to the other end, but find that when running a row cutter, you can't feel the row or it doesn't want to stay in a row, then use your parting tool of choice, and as you go down the row, make a 1" cut centered between the rows every 4 feet or so, then from the back side, cut "dot to dot" (cut mark to cut mark) using a straightedge.

What they said . There are times i run my carpet knife down the row to cut the weft stitch.Then row cut it . I don't see to many straight rows anymore though. I cut a lot from the back like Hi.

Good Luck Z.

Most of the crapet the local cash and carry sells, has no straight rows. I try a row cutter and if I can't follow a row, I straight edge. Most of the carpet now days is so crappy, seams won't look great anyway.

I use a decent sized knitting needle. It's wide enough that it pushes the row apart. once the row is opened up, go down it again, right before you row cut. There are some super soft cut pile carpets on the market these days and the yarns are so floppy and they can make it hard to follow a row.
If you can part the rows enough that you can get to the other end, but find that when running a row cutter, you can't feel the row or it doesn't want to stay in a row, then use your parting tool of choice, and as you go down the row, make a 1" cut centered between the rows every 4 feet or so, then from the back side, cut "dot to dot" (cut mark to cut mark) using a straightedge.

Another alternative to cutting a small slice between the rows is to push a drywall nail between the two rows. Once the carpet is flipped over, pull out the nails one at a time, and mark each hole with a fine pencil line. You can usually poke the pencil lead into the hole to make a visible and accurate locator. I always carry drywall nails for stay tacks.

I try a myriad of tools, last resort a pencil.
Also has a lot to do with the angle I take with said tool.
If I don't have enough play to go in at least 1 1/2 inches it's gonna suck since the manufacturer has such a huge allowance.
First things first, research everything and look at the specs, so long as you know the style name.
Usually you'll find something specifying following a row if it's necessary.
Google is your friend.
Edit= pizza is your friend also

Last edited:
if u have to straight edge, do u guys just mesasure 2 inches in then mark with pencil on backing, then take ur 6 ft staight edge and follow ur marks or do u measure in 2 inches on each end then chalk line, then follow that, what gives the best straight edge

i like that idea

i had one carpet i was able to find and run a row in fine, for one job, then i had the same exact carpet but a different color (same manufacturer, face weight and everything) could NOT find a row in it, kept jumping rows, even when i thought i had a good row cut, put the backings together, and it was over lapping for 6 ft, then gapped half inch another 6 ft :mad::confused:

Last edited:
On some of the cheap crapet, I straight-edge one side and lay that on top of the other piece and follow the edge with a row cutter. Of course, I try it on scraps first.

If you are getting gapping and overlapping on the seam line pull the carpet to the gap. It is easier to push out a bubble than trying to kick one up to the seam. You could even put some stays after pushing the bubble away. But don't forget to pull them when cool.

Daris

That's an easy carpet to seam. The only thing I do different than that guy in the video is I am always on the carpet with the selvedge side to my right side with the blade on the seam side as opposed to the selvedge edge side.

Probably doesn't make a difference but I'm stuck in my ways.

That's an easy carpet to seam. The only thing I do different than that guy in the video is I am always on the carpet with the selvedge side to my right side with the blade on the seam side as opposed to the selvedge edge side.

Probably doesn't make a difference but I'm stuck in my ways.

I do it the same way that you do.

im going to find theses ROWS !!!!!

just got my order in from tools4flooring

(not pictured is my cushion back cuttter)

2gv5w61.jpg
[/IMG]

If you are getting gapping and overlapping on the seam line pull the carpet to the gap. It is easier to push out a bubble than trying to kick one up to the seam. You could even put some stays after pushing the bubble away. But don't forget to pull them when cool.

Daris

If you forget to pull the stays.....
.....the customer will remind you the following day if not sooner. :D

Daris

im going to find theses ROWS !!!!!

just got my order in from tools4flooring

(not pictured is my cushion back cuttter)

2gv5w61.jpg
[/IMG]

The two tools on the left are:confused: the combs I have in my pocket.............. right?

Latest posts

Back