finding a row vs. straight edge

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an easy carpet to seam. The only thing I do different than that guy in the video is I am always on the carpet with the selvedge side to my right side with the blade on the seam side as opposed to the selvedge edge side.

Probably doesn't make a difference but I'm stuck in my ways.

I'm going to read that back to myself a few times.... I think I get it, but it's 12:03am.

I'm going to read that back to myself a few times.... I think I get it, but it's 12:03am.

he goes in the same direction with both cuts

I always go up one edge and turn around and come back the other direction

So my cutter is always in the same position in relation to the seam in contrast to the way the video shows him trimming both edges in the same direction

My blade is always on the side facing the carpet

he goes in the same direction with both cuts

I always go up one edge and turn around and come back the other direction

So my cutter is always in the same position in relation to the seam in contrast to the way the video shows him trimming both edges in the same direction

My blade is always on the side facing the carpet
I do the same as you. Going the same direction is supposed to maintain the proper gap between the rows. I find that cutting with the blade facing the pile still maintains the gap..... or close enough.

made a few little clips, might help to watch this on a phone since i recorded it on a iphone

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing that seems strange to me is pulling the iron instead of pushing it. :confused:

Actually if pulling the iron you leave most all the glue on the tape because you are actually putting lift on the iron instead of weight. Also the carpet will not get into the glue until you put it there. Another thing is you can see the lines on the tape in the back of the iron to see if it is centered. I switched to the front about 20 years ago and pull now. The hard part is when you get to the wall is climbing up the wall backwards.Try it, get used to it and you will like it.

:eek:ld:

Daris

So I've been looking online for a specific straight edge for seams, but I can't find it anywhere. It's a two foot flat bar, and on the bottom it's spiked, to keep the straight edge in place. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Well, we have one. But I don't know where it came from. My father's had it for a long time, he doesn't remember where he got it. But it works amazing for doorways, and I'd like to find one for myself.

No, it's just 2ft in length, probably 2in wide. 1/8in thick, and the pins are probably 1/2 long. 3 pins in a row, probably 15 rows?

Latest posts

Back