Finishing Over Vinyl Decals...Help

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mismith

Hello, need some advice from the experts. We are finishing our bonus room above garage. It will be our College Basketball sports fan room.

The floor is done in clear maple as we wanted to replicate a Gym floor. A local sign company has designed our vinyl decals. They will closely replicate our favorite teams floor. There’s a wide border with the team name at either end and large logo in center of floor.

We want these decals to be finished over for a professional slick look and longevity. And so we won’t ever snag and peel them.

Here’s our problem. The sign guy doesn’t do flooring so he is not sure what product is safe to use and will bond to the shiny surface vinyl? The flooring guy in unsure as well. He wants to use a Loba Waterborne finish.

I know this can be done but what will work properly? Look forward to advice and expertise here!

Thanks,
Michael

That's a new one. I'm not sure if anyone here could recommend a product for that situation.
See if you can find the decal manufacturer. If anyone would know, they would.

Thanks, we are now looking at hiring an Artist to just paint the design on the floor.

At what stage do we have the design painted? Just before the last finish coat?

Thanks!

I'm going to guess, but I'd think after the first sealer coat is on the floor. You would want the wood floor guy to be discussing this with the painter so they have a plan and will work together. There are different types of floor finishes and you want everything to be compatible.
ie:
water and oil don't mix. 😉
That why everyone needs to be in contact with each other.

Bona DTS waterborne is safe for vinyls. I've used it in many gyms. The vinyls and paint go between the sealer and the finish. It goes

1st coat sealer
Quick pass green Norton sand dollar
2nd coat sealer
Paint/Vinyl
1st coat finish
Buff with GREEN NORTON SAND DOLLAR
2nd coat finish

I cannot stress enough the importance of a sand dollar over a screen for this product.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201022-220813_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-220813_Chrome.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 107
Thanks for coming aboard scaly. We're missing guys with wood floor knowledge. I can just guess.

Been doing gyms and residential hardwood for 4 years....I don't know any other type of floor we specialize in wood.

The top is what it looks like when we get there, bottom is when we are done with two coats of DTS sealer

Attachments

• 20200922_101613-COLLAGE.jpg
    20200922_101613-COLLAGE.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 120
I finally got up with the flooring guy today. The only product they have applied to my floor so far is 2 coats of this Loba WS easy finish. No sanding in between these 2 coats.
I was thinking you had to use a sealer before a finish but I’m not a flooring guy.
His answer was “most sealers today are too watered down and you lose body”

Any suggestions?

7A6DADCD-2ECE-4A1F-95F9-19699AF9000E.jpeg

It's probably watered down to penetrate. I would assume you seal for a reason. Sealers seal, top coats.... coat.
I'm not a wood guy either.

Yep, talked to a Loba rep yesterday. He strongly suggested making this guy sand it back down and do it right with the easy prime first. You just can’t get people to do anything right any more....SMH

Hope he learns something. Imagine if down the road, it started debonding, peeling or something else. You'd be replacing the decals too.
Call the Loba people and tell them your plans for decals or paint and make sure the product will work.

Latest posts

Back