First day on the job?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Ramey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Did a job last week. Every seam in the house was done with sticky tape and the pad was all upside down. Upstairs it was stapled every inch around the perimeter( and taped) about every 6" out in the field. Downstairs it was glued to the concrete with latex. Not just latex but damn good latex.

I scraped with a 6" for a good 20 min before I gave up and borrowed a self propelled scraping machine. All told it took about 4 hours to get the machine and the pad up in a 20 x 12 room. Then I had to re-nail all the strip. Scratch that, NAIL all the strip as it was put down with construction adhesive and none of it stuck. All the nails were laid over. The concrete was butter by the way. I guess if you aren't so much as kicking the carpet in and you can't when you are using sticky tape, it doesn't matter what you glue it down with.

I was hoping to be out of there by 1 friday, as I only had the 1 room downstairs to do, I walked out the door at 6:30.

IMG_0810.jpegIMG_0811.jpegIMG_0813.jpeg

It is amazing what you find people have done, and gotten away with! I did a job not too long ago, and whoever did the install last nailed down the pad with damn 10 penny nails! Turned a quick morning job into an all day event.
Good on ya for getting it done!

It is amazing what you find people have done, and gotten away with! I did a job not too long ago, and whoever did the install last nailed down the pad with damn 10 penny nails! Turned a quick morning job into an all day event.
Good on ya for getting it done!
Did a repair on stretch-in once where a guy put a double row of tack strip where the seam should be and stretched off both directions. He did not even own a seaming iron.

Well here’s one I’m not too proud of. Way back when, around 78, I was doing apartments. One of the units I was assigned had no electricity. Usually I just went out to the meter, pulled the meter off, removed the rubber sleeves, and I was in business. This one had a locking band on it. Neighbors weren’t home to let me plug in and I sure wasn’t gonna hand sew the cheap shag for the 75 cents a yard I was getting... I loose laid everything and used duct tape under the seams. Figured I’d wait for the phone call and come back and reinstall the whole thing once the juice was on… Tenants moved in and I never got a call... Some people aren’t too picky…I think they were happy just to have something fuzzy on the floor...😎

I evicted a guy off my property and inspecting their meter to their trailer and it was hot wired. Called our Co op and they couldn't believe what they did and didn't die from it. They also climbed the pole and hacked cable to get tv.

Latest posts

Back