First few rows;

Help Support Flooring Forum:

Mark Brown

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Would it really be possible to push the entire floor? That seems like it would be very difficult if not almost impossible.
It works in perfectly rectangular rooms where you have nothing to cut around or to like doors and the like. It is remarkable how strong the mighty force of leverage really is. Cannot say there should be much need... but need and possibility is not the same thing :)

C.J.

Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Pro
Would it really be possible to push the entire floor? That seems like it would be very difficult if not almost impossible.

The floor will move for sure. This is why you use spacers, to keep the floor from moving while your crawling, installing and tapping the floor during the whole installation process. Simplest thing is to use leverage like Mark said. A pry bar works but make sure you have something behind it so your pry bar doesn’t punch a hole in your wall before the floor moves. 1x4 or I use my 3’ metal straight edge to protect the wall. Whatever you use just make sure it spans a couple studs at least.

Chaucer

Hi,

Getting ready to start..question....

Is it ok to leave a large couch and piano in the back 1/3 of room while I do the first 2/3 and then move those items to the completed floor? Or is there a dwell time that heavy items should be left off the floor after completion. This is a click loc bamboo floor.

Thank you

highup

Professional
Pro
Just don't turn off the heating system for 6 months if you take a 6 month vacation. 😉
Stability is your floors best friend.

Chaucer

Hi,

May be a silly question..but do you cut the tonque and groove off the edges of each plank near the walls for each row? If you leave them, does the expansion gap get measured from the edge of the finished board or the tonque/groove?

Thank you

Tile Tom

Professional
Pro
NO! They say to cut the tongue off only on the first row to go against your starting wall
I literally never cut off the tongue on my first row. Only about 1/32-1/64 of it shows anyway. Not enough to warrant putting time into removing for me.

Chaucer

NO! They say to cut the tongue off only on the first row to go against your starting wall
I literally never cut off the tongue on my first row. Only about 1/32-1/64 of it shows anyway. Not enough to warrant putting time into removing for me.
Understood...is the expansion gap measured from the tonque or the finshed board edge?

Tile Tom

Professional
Pro
Understood...is the expansion gap measured from the tonque or the finshed board edge?
If you leave the little piece of tongue on then from the tongue. If you trim it off then from the board edge.
If I was you I would just go ahead and trim off the sliver of tongue. Might as well keep everything as the manufacturer suggests. Just in case you need to make a claim in the future, those weasels will try to find ANY reason to deny it. Including leaving on a 1/16" tongue.
Carefully cut it off with a sharp utility knife or send it down your table saw to remove it on your first row.

Chaucer

Hi,

I'm about 1/2 way done (I'm slow doing other things and working)..anyways a couple of questions.

1. Some of the short edge seams are not "perfectly smooth"..sometimes there a very slight height difference between boards on the short edges, maybe a calling card thickness at the most. Is that expected in the variations of the wood? I can keep trying new boards and can eventially find ones that have almost no differenc. Just wondering if I'm being too picky?

2. The new floor is slightly lower than the existing hardwood. Thus my T-molding rocks down a bit. Before I get too far, how should this be addressed, if at all.

3. Because of the holiday, I'm going out of town for the week. Is it ok to lave it 1/2 done (I really don't have a choice).

Thank you..

C.J.

Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Pro
1. Depends on how picky you are. If it’s just an odd board here n there then you can cull them. If it’s damn near every other board then that’s just how the product is.

2. Angled T- molds is nothing new when joining up to adjacent flooring. How much angle are we talking about? 1/4”? Roll with it. 3/4”? You got a problem.

3. Doesn’t look like you have a choice.