First few rows;

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want the floor to have room to move. Rather than breaking out tools and cutting the floor back, I would run that reducer through the table saw. Cut off the bottom stub then use silicone and some 23 ga pin nails to fasten the top half of that reducer in place. If you like you can even rip the remaining piece of reducer down to 1”, 3/4” or whatever you like.

1B2FF03F-8AC2-43F9-9E31-7BB9ED4D3AB5.jpeg

I don't know how big the room is in regards to how much gap you actually need. You could also cut off the front face of that molding and it would remove the angled portion, which is about a quarter of an inch. Like CJ said, just run it through the table saw before cutting it for width. You would need to use a scrap piece of material under that overhanging lip as a support as you push it through the saw. For butting up against something, that angle doesn't make it look any better, so if it was me I just remove it.

Hi,

Back again..looking for suggestions for around the fireplace. I've seen undercutting or quarter round or other?

I think undercutting would be a lot for me..but I'm not sure. I do have a 4 inch grinder. If quarter round, does it get glued with constrction adhesive.

Thank you

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 69
Precut the 1/4 round then super glue the corners so the fireplace 1/4 round is all one piece. Put some silicone on the flooring and set the 1/4 round in place. Shoot a couple pin nails to hold it in place.

All done with my second room. Thank you very much @Tile Tom and @C.J. for taking the time to answer all my questions. All answers were very helpful. The only part not finished is the QR against the fireplace. A few of the bricks sit slightly "proud" of the others resulting in the QR not being flush against the bricks in a few places. Now onto the stairs...

Attachments

• FR1.jpg
    FR1.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 60
  • FR2.jpg
    FR2.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Back