First time installing carpet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinmcajustin

Hey everyone! I was just wondering how hard it is to install a carpet! I have been doing hardwood floors for the past 5 years and don't know if it would be to hard to do my own carpet! I ripped it up and from what I can see it doesn't look to hard! But I kinda want some professional advice!
What do I need if I was to do it myself?

To install carpet properly, you need to start with a piece that overlaps the edge of the floor by 4 to 6 inches (10.2 to 15.2 cm). The overlay can then be trimmed so the carpet fits properly. To cut your first section, measure the room at its longest point and add 6 inches (15.2 cm) to that measurement. Mark the back of your carpet on both edges with that measurement and join the two marks with a chalk line. #Fold the carpet over on itself, and using a straight edge and a sharp utility knife, cut through the backside of your carpet. Be sure to place a piece of scrap board underneath your cut line to protect the underlying carpet

Hey everyone! I was just wondering how hard it is to install a carpet! I have been doing hardwood floors for the past 5 years and don't know if it would be to hard to do my own carpet! I ripped it up and from what I can see it doesn't look to hard! But I kinda want some professional advice!
What do I need if I was to do it myself?

You need a lot of tools to properly install carpet.

To install carpet properly, you need to start with a piece that overlaps the edge of the floor by 4 to 6 inches (10.2 to 15.2 cm). The overlay can then be trimmed so the carpet fits properly. To cut your first section, measure the room at its longest point and add 6 inches (15.2 cm) to that measurement. Mark the back of your carpet on both edges with that measurement and join the two marks with a chalk line. #Fold the carpet over on itself, and using a straight edge and a sharp utility knife, cut through the backside of your carpet. Be sure to place a piece of scrap board underneath your cut line to protect the underlying carpet

??????????????? after 50 years of installing, this must be a new way.
As Nick and Rusty said if you are going to play the game you have to have the toys.
Justin, you don't say what room this is going to be done in. Bedroom you might get by with it, but I wouldn't tackle say you living room or family room that is going to be exposed to God and everybody. Hire those areas, you won't be sorry.

Daris

Unless all you have is blue chalk or a really unsteady hand why would you need to fold a cut back over itself and cut using a straight edge? What if it's a 30' cut on a windy day. 6 inches is overkill, if you're that unsteady and fear an unsquare cut uh...
I can understand the original question, he's a flooring guy who wants to spread his wings to what's considered the bottom wrung of flooring ease of installation.
The replies are spot on. Tools and knowledge. We're all underrated and under appreciated.

Justin, I would steer clear of getting into carpet installation.
It is the most physically demanding
type of flooring to install and pays the least. I charge more to rip up carpet, (when installing flooring other than carpet) than most installers (in my area) are paid to install carpet.
I would personally get into ceramic and luxury vinyl products.
I get $3.50/sq. ft. for grouted LVT.
Carpet pays $0.50/ sq.ft. around here .
After 26 years of installing I hate carpet😎

I just read the original post and I thought you were look into expanding
Into doing carpet in addition to hardwood.
I see now you were talking about just doing carpet for yourself .
Sorry about my rant 😳

I just read the original post and I thought you were look into expanding
Into doing carpet in addition to hardwood.
I see now you were talking about just doing carpet for yourself .
Sorry about my rant ��

Regardless if it's a DIY project, the "looks easy" part is what most of us were replying to.

Edit: Ohh Ruggy don't overlook the Eagles!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back