First timer needing advice on direction...

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shangam2008

Hey all! I'm about to install a Mannington Adura Max vinyl plank this weekend but am struggling with the direction I should run it. If I follow the standard, then the hallway to the left won't run parallel to the walls. Should I keep it long in the hallway and run it along the short wall in the living room? Thanks in advance!

Room Layout.jpg

Without seeing the dimentions, I'd agree with Hav. You could add a low profile carpet runner down the length of the hall so the edges of the laminate are still visible.

Wood or wood planks usually run the length of a room. Most of the time, they run the length of a hall..... your dilemma.
Sometimes it's best to use the directions that you normally use to walk into a room as a guide. If the living room will always have a rug covering a large part of the floor, that can influence your decision.
In the lower part of the drawing, it looks like maybe the dining room area? If so, that would have a table and chairs, once again breaking up the visual length of the room.
If the doorway on the right is the kitchen, you would often walk from that doorway, through the dining room then down the hall. In that scenario, the planks going up and down the hall might be better.
It's a tough call.
If you already have the material, you could open up a couple boxes and lay a bunch of pieces on the floor to get a real vision of how they will look. Don't lock them together, just lay them side by side
Try it one way, then the other.

Wood or wood planks usually run the length of a room. Most of the time, they run the length of a hall..... your dilemma.
Sometimes it's best to use the directions that you normally use to walk into a room as a guide. If the living room will always have a rug covering a large part of the floor, that can influence your decision.
In the lower part of the drawing, it looks like maybe the dining room area? If so, that would have a table and chairs, once again breaking up the visual length of the room.
If the doorway on the right is the kitchen, you would often walk from that doorway, through the dining room then down the hall. In that scenario, the planks going up and down the hall might be better.
It's a tough call.
If you already have the material, you could open up a couple boxes and lay a bunch of pieces on the floor to get a real vision of how they will look. Don't lock them together, just lay them side by side
Try it one way, then the other.
This is great advice. The bottom portion of my drawing (not to scale, may look slightly larger than it is in real life) is just wasted space, nothing there. We use it as an unobstructed, very large walkway to the other rooms. Occasionally I set up my treadmill there, but most of the time it's wide open.. I think I will set up the vinyl before I start to see how it looks. Thanks so much for your input!

Latest posts

Back