Fix Burn marks

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidfar

Hi there,
Can someone please help me with hiw to remove a burn mark from my hardwood floor? I accidentally set a hot pan on the floor right from the hob. Although I removed it almost immediately, it left an unsightly mark. I live in a rented apartment so I need to fix it.
I alreadyvtried sanding it with 150 and 180 strength sand paper but that did not help much.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20200530_061046.jpg
    20200530_061046.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 184
Sorry this happened. It's life. Sad thing is the bevels on this floor makes it look like a factory finished product.

Unless you have some attic stock of the product in the apartment, your deposit is likely gone. To sand far enough to remove the burn is going to affect the bevel. If you actually do have a few boards left over from the original installation, that's all it would take.

On top of that, anyone able to replicate the factory finish, on a small repair like this one, has better skills than I ever developed. Not to say it couldn't be done.............

Sorry this happened. It's life. Sad thing is the bevels on this floor makes it look like a factory finished product.

Unless you have some attic stock of the product in the apartment, your deposit is likely gone. To sand far enough to remove the burn is going to affect the bevel. If you actually do have a few boards left over from the original installation, that's all it would take.

On top of that, anyone able to replicate the factory finish, on a small repair like this one, has better skills than I ever developed. Not to say it couldn't be done.............
😣 Do you think it is possible to get close enough to the original state? Some sites recommended to scrape using a utility knife and then go through a lengthy process involving Linseed Oil, epoxy and also wood stain. Do you think that will imprive this siutation?

If there is a way to match the sheen of the original finish, it might be best to refinish both of those planks instead of just that spot. Of course, you'd want to tape off the surrounding planks.
That said, you would need to sand the burn completely out, match the stain and the finish. If Dan says it's difficult, then not having any flooring experience, you could make it worse or harder to repair by a pro. Are all the planks the same length? If they are the same length the owner may have some leftovers. Might be better contacting him than trying unsuccessfully to hide it from him and failing.

Last edited:
If there is a way to match the sheen of the original finish, it might be best to refinish both of those planks instead of just that spot. Of course, you'd want to tape off the surrounding planks.
That said, you would need to sand the burn completely out, match the stain and the finish. If Dan says it's difficult, then not having any flooring experience, you could make it worse or harder to repair by a pro. Are all the planks the same length? If they are the same length the owner may have some leftovers. Might be better contacting him than trying unsuccessfully to hide it from him and failing.

Thank you. The planks are not always the same size, some are shorter than the other, while some are also wider than the other.

I was also thinking that, I might make it worse if I try to do any further repairs.

Many thanks, to both of you @Dan and @highup.

I looked at the image and noticed as you mentioned the different widths. Wish there was something better we could do to help. I'd still advise to not try a self remedy. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back