Fix for planks that dip when you step on them

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen81407

We have MSI Prescott floating LVP installed throughout the house and have a few spots that dip slightly when you step on them along the long side of the plank where they connect to the adjacent plank. Meaning one plank goes slightly higher than the adjacent plank. We suspect some may be due to floor not being 100% level and others may be because the small lip of the LVP broke (we noticed during install they tend to break fairly easily). I’ve read the proper way to fix would be to pull up all the planks, ensure it’s 100% level and reinstall. This isn’t realistic at this point for all areas since some are really hard to access.

Are there any other hacks for potentially fixing the problem with glue or something along those lines? The floors are floating on top of a vapor barrier which is on top of a concrete slab.
Appreciate any advice! Thank you!

I'm going to let somebody else assist if they can. There's nothing that can be injected through the flooring to fill that depression, especially over a vapor barrier. Unless it's a miracle I've never heard of, you're going to have to live with what you got. Manufacturers have a flatness tolerance of 3/16" in 10 ft or something close to that.
The terrible thing is that they don't emphasize strongly enough when they sell the product that a flat floor is virtually the most important of the entire job. If the floor flexes, the joints can break because they are not designed to flex.
Wish I had some better news but....

I'm going to let somebody else assist if they can. There's nothing that can be injected through the flooring to fill that depression, especially over a vapor barrier. Unless it's a miracle I've never heard of, you're going to have to live with what you got. Manufacturers have a flatness tolerance of 3/16" in 10 ft or something close to that.
The terrible thing is that they don't emphasize strongly enough when they sell the product that a flat floor is virtually the most important of the entire job. If the floor flexes, the joints can break because they are not designed to flex.
Wish I had some better news but....
Thanks for getting back to me. With a floating floor is it possible to cut the damaged piece out, fix the floor and then reinstall a piece and glue it where the joints would be?

Thanks for getting back to me. With a floating floor is it possible to cut the damaged piece out, fix the floor and then reinstall a piece and glue it where the joints would be?

Plank replacements are a possibility. The challenge will be how many planks do you open up to flatten the floor. Now if you have to do this in multiple areas you might as well just open it all up and do it right. If you simply want to fix a couple broken planks without addressing the floor flatness issue then there is a very real possibility the planks will split again. Tough spot to be in for sure.

Latest posts

Back