Fixing tile to carpet transition

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
A tile guy (lazy hack) installed some 3" by 3" tile in a small bathroom. It's 6 feet from the doorway, straight back to the wall behind the toilet. He started with full tiles behind the toilet and worked his way out, which left 3/4" wide pieces of tile at the carpet to tile transition in the doorway.
He used 1/4" backer board of some kind, and 4 of the tiny strips of tile have come loose across this doorway.
Can I use a urethane adhesive to glue these small pieces of tile back in place? The grout is still intact and if there's a way to re-secure the tile pieces without adding any thickness, it wouldn't need re-grouting, or mixing up a tiny amount of thinset for just a 3/4' by 12" area.

I may go look at it again, to see if I can remove the rest of the tiles across this 30" doorway and just install an overlapping wood floor threshold in their place....... I think those solid wood thresholds on the overlap part, are about the same thickness as these tiles. I don't do tile, so if it needs mudding and regrouting, I don't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
I'm no hack.............. I can fit me some 1/8" by 3" aluminum bar stock to the doorway and then get it powder coated so it looks like a real pro done-did it. :D

Don't have a HD. Chemrex 948 is what I use for bulletproof situations. It's a urethane adhesive. The job is here in town and I'll pop by a second time to see if I'd be better off custom fitting a wood floor reducer or trim molding instead of re-adhering the tile pieces. I view the guy that did the tile as a lazy idiot for allowing such narrow pieces at the doorway instead of putting them behind the toilet.

I use to use Chemrex 948 Hi. To expensive .

PL 400 is a urethane adhesive to.

25 or so years ago, a lumber yard here sold PL200 PL400 and PL500, with PL500 recommended for pressure treated wood............. I'm guessing it's not the same stuff or even the same company. Their adhesives were pretty good. I don't think there were urethane adhesives back then. The PL400 label said to "brush off any loose dirt or snow" :D After reading that, I figured this was some pretty good stuff.

Been using it for years Hi. It is some sticky arse stuff.

Lowes carries it to .

I use it to glue & nail sticks to a concrete floor .

25 or so years ago, a lumber yard here sold PL200 PL400 and PL500, with PL500 recommended for pressure treated wood............. I'm guessing it's not the same stuff or even the same company. Their adhesives were pretty good. I don't think there were urethane adhesives back then. The PL400 label said to "brush off any loose dirt or snow" :D After reading that, I figured this was some pretty good stuff.

That reminds of so many years ago in New England we'd smear up cutback the night before and sometimes a door or window would get left open for whatever reason and we'd come in to lay the tile and find snow all over that corner of the room/hallway.

Yup, just sweep it away lay the tile-------CLOSE THE WINDOW-------and never look back.

That's REAL glue right there.

I did the same thing In when i was doing apartments .

Glue 4 kitchens, and baths, Come back the next day and lay the VCT.

Latest posts

Back