Fixing tools

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Do you usually fix your own tools or send them out or just replace them? I have repaired irons, tackers, air staplers, hammer staplers and even made parts to fix my Roberts JR stretcher, when I couldn't by parts for it.
Only expensive thing I couldn't fix was a Crain stretcher I bought new. It was junk from day one. The rep admitted it was junk but they wouldn't replace it. It was that awful square-shaft stretcher.
Never bought another Crain tool after that.

Didja know there's these things called forums you can get good advice for malfunctioning tools - appliance repair etc?

I also have a Snap-On air chisel that I use on a weekly basis. It needs to be rebuilt but I'm sure they will charge me a purty penny for it. Hard to justify when I can get a new Home Depot air chisel for $29.

When my power stretcher broke, I couldn't buy parts for it. So I spent a couple hours in the shop fabricating parts. A new stretcher would have run about $500. Besides, I like fixing stuff. I have done a lot of furniture repair, too.

When my power stretcher broke, I couldn't buy parts for it. So I spent a couple hours in the shop fabricating parts. A new stretcher would have run about $500. Besides, I like fixing stuff. I have done a lot of furniture repair, too.
Same as you, Rusty, if I can't fix it, it can't be fixed. ....unless it's a confuzer. :D

I tore my air hammer apart yesterday and cleaned it all up, then lubed it up. I also sharpened the bit. I then went to clean up a bit of thinset from the floor and within a minute, the bit broke in half. It obviously didn't like getting any TLC.

Latest posts

Back