Floor guy from New York & New Jersey

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site Wood . We have the best of the best on here from installers to Inspectors.

Don't be afraid to post .

Thanks for the warm welcome Nick. :)

@Incognito We have Wood store at New York and new Jersey, also do floor sanding, refinishing and installation. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome Nick. :)

@Incognito We have Wood store at New York and new Jersey, also do floor sanding, refinishing and installation. :)

Cool.

Can I ask a few questions.........?

Typical basketball court gym floor is roughly 10K square feet. Your guys go screen and re-coat.......how many days/ man hours do you schedule into the most common, basic "routine maintenance re-coat" process?

We're having some issues with a subcontractor and I'm curious about how you would negotiate with the customer as to the actual work and then of course the down time for the curing of the finish.

I actually have a lot more such questions but let's start with this.

A typical sand and refinish will take 3 to 4 weeks, this includes cure time for the finish. The floor should cure for a minimum of 72 hours if using water-based finish and up to seven (7) days if using oil-modified finish. The oil-modified finish will take longer to cure based on temperature and humidity conditions in the room, generally, the more humid the room, the longer the cure time.

Last edited:
A typical sand and refinish will take 3 to 4 weeks, this includes cure time for the finish. The floor should cure for a minimum of 72 hours if using water-based finish and up to seven (7) days if using oil-modified finish. The oil-modified finish will take longer to cure based on temperature and humidity conditions in the room, generally, the more humid the room, the longer the cure time.

What about a screen and re-coat as opposed to sand and refinish?

Not taking the finish off down to bare wood, just cleaning and abrading the existing finish to a reasonable degree so the re-coat bonds and performs well. We are not expected to make any repairs on the underlying wood conditions.

Latest posts

Back