Floor leveling issue

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atldc5

Hi everyone, I've been searching everywhere and havent found an answer and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but this is my issue.

I just removed old carpet from my basement bedroom, the foam underlayment was very tough to remove even after scraping. I want to instal either tile or vinyl but after that I come across I believe the concrete foundation protruding out not even with the walls. The floor is level, but each edge of the room is higher and different heights. Either 1" higher and 1'2" on another. How would I make the whole floor the same height? I was told either re-cement the whole floor or put cement boards but I don't know how that would even out. Any tip or opinion would help, I will attach pictures for a better visual.

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4942.jpg
    IMG_4942.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5143.jpg
    IMG_5143.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 134
My first thought was cutting out the cement with a saw, cutting it flush with the floor. That would be messy, expensive and it might affect the integrity of the foundation.... but being a basement it would have concrete walls, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue. A general contractor might better determine that.
My second thought was ferring out the walls, but that would also be expensive.
Maybe a wood wanescote could be installed, ferring out the material so it's even with the protruding concrete.
The top edge could be finished off with a 2 1/2 or 3 inch board so it leaves a tiny shelf like look.

Thank you for your responses. It's a bedroom in the basement so their is no concrete wall. But yeah cutting on the concrete might be the only option if I can't settle on an easier solution.

What would be a good solution to make it all completely leveled? apply concrete throughout? concrete or plywood boards? Sorry it's just been a headache especially during covid-19 I've just been doing these home projects on my own now.

I'm confused. Basements typically have concrete walls as part of the homes foundation, tho the concrete may be hidden with wooden wall structure, insulation and sheetrock or paneling.
The basement has other rooms, but you are just doing changes to this single room?
Removing the lip might be done with an angle grinder and a diamond blade...... And with a large shop vac wand held by an assistant, right near the blade as you grind..... And good masks.
best to check with a trusted contractor to see if doing that will not affect the integrity of the foundation.

I have seen this a bunch of times—-the slab was never tied into the foundation and the slab is now sinking—-even if you level it the slab may continue sinking—-I ramp it with vct then leveler then a glue down lip—-you should be fine

I have seen this a bunch of times—-the slab was never tied into the foundation and the slab is now sinking—-even if you level it the slab may continue sinking—-I ramp it with vct then leveler then a glue down lip—-you should be fine
In the Hickman Mills area of KC, they built some quick homes for the Air Force at the start of WW2. They poured slabs in a cornfield. The floors in most have settled 6 inches. So the baseboard is 6 inches above the floor now. When we stretched in carpet, we ran it up the wall and stapled it to the bottom of the baseboard. You could put tile up the wall to the baseboard.

Latest posts

Back