Floor Prep Included

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
Lost another one to some yahoo who bid against me and included floor prep in his bid with carpet covering the floor. He was lowest bidder and also included free furniture (house was packed) and also replacement (R&R) of tile in the entry plus fireplace hearth (on floor and surrounding fireplace).

What bugs me most is all inclusive floor prep. My analogy for the consumer who is a mortgage broker is this; "Quoting floor prep without seeing the substrate is akin to writing up a mortgage for a house that has not had an appraisal eg; never seen."

Maybe a better idea would be to work it into your bid and then take it off the total if its not needed? Better to bid it high and discount at the end, right?

Maybe a better idea would be to work it into your bid and then take it off the total if its not needed? Better to bid it high and discount at the end, right?

Was bidding a whole house of laminate.

I like to give clients a breakdown of everything thats going to be charged for. That way it informs them of what needs to be done per manufactures requirements and sets the tone for other contractors to follow. If they dont spec it then it makes me look better.

tell pe to buy less amount of top shelf product, along with quality installation rather than blow your whole wad on a cheap azz floor.

Besides, unknown floor prep is what it is. I dont have x-ray vision to see through crapet. I've run into a few that need ten bags of SLC. Thats gonna cost you a few rooms of flooring.

Prep isn't necessarily INCLUDED in the work I do but my shop owner and sales staff are not remotely specific enough in their EXCLUSIONS to make my installations proceed without constant drama.

Because they don't EXPLICITLY describe the conditions that we can't possibly accept prior to sending out crews I'm constantly in the position of dramatic confrontation over what to the customers seem like petty and overblown objections.

For real, they don't have the least clue where acceptable begins and horrible ends. Well, to be sure terrible never ends in Southern Mexifornia, as far as concrete and the scab BS all the other trades like to slop all over the slab and ASSUME any and all clean-up is "minor floor prep" and therefore MY job.

Depends on what kind of mood I'm in that day and how busy the market is whether I'm bemused by their collective absurdity or enraged-------probably has more to do with how strong the coffee was that AM to be honest.

Latest posts

Back